Hard Lump not in CL type place-should I be concerned

bbredmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
One of our new girls has grown a lump. I specifically asked the woman I bought her from if it was CL, and she said no, she'd had her vet out to look at it, and he was going to inject medicine to make it shrink.

Well, I'd rather be sure so I took a pic for y'all. Also, I read on Tenneseemeatgoats.com about treating CL Lumps with Formalin. Has anyone done this and where can you purchse it?

None of the other goats have any lumps, and this is the only one she has. Its above her jaw line, right by where her molars end. She was not cooperative about the picture though.

7c8575c5.jpg

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
One of my Nubians gets a similar lump in that spot sometimes. Hers is never bigger than a quarter and it pops up every so often and then just goes away. It never ruptures. The vet things she 'backwashes' her saliva into the salivary gland and then gets a mild infection.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She bit her cheek....that's all. No biggie. :)

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Calliopia said:
The vet things she 'backwashes' her saliva into the salivary gland and then gets a mild infection.
What?!? :gig :rolleyes:

I don't mean to poke fun at the vet or anything, but...wow. That's quite a theory!

Don't get me wrong -- I totally believe in using vets. I just also happen to believe that when you hear the beating of hooves, you should probably start off thinking "horses" -- not zebras!
:p

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
helmstead said:
I think the vet may have been trying to conjure a retained cud?
Just did a google search for "retained cud"...got a whole bunch of links devoted to coin collecting.

NO clue.

What the hell is a retained cud?!? That's a new one on me... :hu

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Basically this... According to the previous owner, she had an obstructed salivary glad when she was about 2. She wasn't swallowing all of her cud or something got stuck, etc and it blocked off the opening that that salivary gland. It got swollen and infected and they put her on antibiotics and drained it. Ever since then every so often she gets a bit of bacteria/dirty saliva, whatever in it and it swells a little.

Similar to retained cud doesn't come with the teeth problems. We had it checked out by our vet the first time it happened on our watch and unlike retained cud there is no visible impaction. If it doesn't go down on it's own then we give her an antibiotic.

*** I sometimes wonder if I could make up stranger things happening to our goats and always come to the conclusion that they will do something odder than I can think of ***

bbredmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
But are bit cheeks or swollen salivary glands hard, cause this is hard. It hasn't grown or gone down, but I've only had her since Thursday. And she definitely doesn't like it messed with!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Calliopia said:
Basically this... According to the previous owner, she had an obstructed salivary glad when she was about 2. She wasn't swallowing all of her cud or something got stuck, etc and it blocked off the opening that that salivary gland. It got swollen and infected and they put her on antibiotics and drained it. Ever since then every so often she gets a bit of bacteria/dirty saliva, whatever in it and it swells a little.

Similar to retained cud doesn't come with the teeth problems. We had it checked out by our vet the first time it happened on our watch and unlike retained cud there is no visible impaction. If it doesn't go down on it's own then we give her an antibiotic.

*** I sometimes wonder if I could make up stranger things happening to our goats and always come to the conclusion that they will do something odder than I can think of ***
And you're SURE it's not a simple matter of the goat biting its cheek from time to time? Seriously...they do that. I've had mine do it before. They get a little 'pingpong ball' abscess in their cheek, right next to where the molars come together...right where they chomped down on their cheek. The abscess usually either hangs around for a few days and slowly gets smaller, or -- more commonly, in my experience -- it just disappears all at once where it either ruptures on its own...or they bite into it again and 'pop' it.

:sick

I finally found a reference to retained cud...which is apparently exactly what it sounds like...a goat with cud stuck between its cheek and teeth ( :/ ), and that's not at all what I'm talking about.

Like you said...no visual impaction. Just a pingpong ball in the cheek, right beside where the teeth come together.

Pretty much exactly what the OP's photo looks like..

Is that what your salivary gland obstruction looked like, by any chance?

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
bbredmom said:
But are bit cheeks or swollen salivary glands hard, cause this is hard. It hasn't grown or gone down, but I've only had her since Thursday. And she definitely doesn't like it messed with!
Bitten cheeks are. Feels like she's holding a little golf ball in there, right? Or a big marble..