Hard to recognize estrus. Bring in the buck?

seanmac831

Just born
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time poster and first year goat owner here.

We're looking to breed our Nubian/Alpine Doelings. They are 9 months old and 80lbs.

A neighbor has a Boer buck he is willing to loan out for "as long as we need him."

We got a buck rag from him, and they initially seemed interested, but a couple of days later they are not showing clear signs of heat.

Should we just bring him in (the buck) and keep him for a couple of weeks? We are up against the end of the breeding season and I don't want to go another year without milking.

We also don't have a separate enclosure and I'm worried if he's "ready to go" and they're not, it could go badly keeping them together. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, you should keep him with the does a few weeks. You are approaching the end of breeding season for standard does. You can maybe breed into February.

Usually, a buck will harass the does a bit at first, but if they aren't ready, he will usually leave them alone until they are. Depends on the buck.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had one very difficult to figure out doe.

I just penned her with a buck for a month...

Remember they are in heat for a very short while. So, if they were first interested in the buck rag, then not... maybe that was them being in heat... and then they went out of heat.

If the buck is friendly/easy to deal with, AND disease free... easiest to just have him for a month.

seanmac831

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. Brought the buck in, and it looked like he "got the job done" with one of our does one the second day.

It seems highly likely that he bred the other too (we watched her letting him sniff with her tail up).

Will probably keep him here for another couple of days.

Latest posts