HarDel Rabbitry Journal

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This afternoon when I got home and was doing the evening feeding she had a second one. She had it on her resting pad and then I think she cleaned it up before moving away from it. It started squawking which is how I found out it was there. I scooped it up and it was still warm so I tucked it into the nesting box and showed her where it was. After sniffing a bit she went back to ignoring it. Then she started digging and taking hay out of the box and I was worried she would hurt it so I pulled it out again and it was cold. I took it into the house and got it warm on a heating pad and gave it 2 ml of formula. My BF decided it would be best to move her back out to the first cage she was in when she got here as it is more spacious and familiar to her despite being outside. We made the move, took the top off the nesting box, and gave the baby some fur I had from grooming as she still hasn't pulled any fur. Now we'll leave her to do her thing and hopefully she figures out how to nest and have the rest of the litter. It's so hard to just sit back and let nature take it's course but you also don't really get a choice. Here's hoping it all works out!
Wow, I hope that she gets it figured out. Seems like a good sign that she hasn't killed the second one.

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We woke up to 4 babies in a nest in the nest box, one under developed DOA, and one ice cube near the edge of the nesting box. I've warmed it up and I think it's going to make it so 5/7! Pretty good considering how this started! Hopefully she has it all figured out now 🤞

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We woke up to 4 babies in a nest in the nest box, one under developed DOA, and one ice cube near the edge of the nesting box. I've warmed it up and I think it's going to make it so 5/7! Pretty good considering how this started! Hopefully she has it all figured out now 🤞
That's such good news! 💞

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So we're two days in and I had my numbers wrong last time so it's actually 6/9 alive and they are gaining weight like pros and mom is super protective but luckily is willing to be distracted by dandelions 😂
We are going to pick up our cows from a province over and leave tonight so I had my friend over to give her the run down on taking care of our critters last night. It's so nice to have someone who loves the bunnies as much as I do available to take care of them! We're paying her in the form of Pepper, a proven 8 month old buck we don't need anymore. He's super snuggly.
I'll post a picture update shortly :)

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
004a9443-46a3-477e-97c9-1a05b7454aaa-jpeg.74162
41217B4D-44F2-4646-9FE0-08DAE2987B98.jpeg

Attachments

• 004A9443-46A3-477E-97C9-1A05B7454AAA.jpeg
    004A9443-46A3-477E-97C9-1A05B7454AAA.jpeg
    342.4 KB · Views: 229