Harliquinized Castor

Sylverfly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So I have what I believe is a harliquinized castor, but it's very possible he's something else. I was wanting to breed harliquin/tricolor Rex and Castor Rex separately from each other because they're my favorite colors. I ended up with a very nice harliquin doe and what I think is a harliquinized castor buck. Is it possible to correct the castor in future generations using him and if so how? Or is it possible to use him in a harliquin tricolor program? And how do I tell if he is actually a harliquinized castor? I know castor colors can be corrected by adding in reds and what not depending on issues but I'm not familiar with the harliquin gene.

Anyone know?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
:oops: :idunno 🙄 I don't do rabbits. Horses for years so appreciate the questioning....in all species, there's a "possible" that genetics can line up, or not. 😁Good luck!

Sylverfly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm thinking he's out as far as castor breeding, so I'm more wondering if he can be used for harliquin/tricolor or if this is just one of those things where he's better off with a home that doesn't care about the color of their rabbits. His coat has some huge flaws for castor, and I'm thinking the agouti gene is not something that is helpful for tricolor or harliquin. I'm not sure if there's something else they can be used for that's not a recognized color but is cool or if this boy needs a new home.

rittert3

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wouldn't breed him. I never bred rex but I knew many breeder who culled with no mercy for harlequinized castor. Color breeding alone will get most serious rabbit people in a tizzy. I started with broken/solid breeds and quickly moved to the most dominant colors as it was so much easier to breed type. Once I got my type down then I could look at breeding compatible colors. Rex is almost more tricky about this and I really latched on to favorite dominant colors more vs. the flashy, more recessive varieties. Hope this helps