Harness/leash/collar advice

rasheika

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
hello!
new goat people-just got 2 Nigerian Dwarfs-yay!! The fellow we got them from said to use breakaway cat collars. Well those don't work well....I am looking for something my kids can walk them around our property with to graze and just have fun. Also, I am looking for something safe we can tie them up to graze out of there paddock at times. Any ideas or links to purchase would be great.
Thanks so much in advance!!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Many will say never put a collar on a goat or sheep as they have a penchant for trying to kill themselves and strangulation or a broken neck is always an option for them. On the other hand, having a collar on them when you're taking them for a walk is something that you just have to do sometimes. Some will say never to chain them out unattended, but many do just that with no issue. You just have to be aware and plan ahead. Most will say it's not a good idea to leave a collar on them when they're in their pen unattended. Some folks get those screw in dog stakes then put a length of tie down on it to attach to their collar making sure there's no obstacle they can reach and wrap themselves around to strangle themselves... common sense IMHO... Once they are adjusted to you and will come to the sound of grain in a can it's a lot less of a problem/hassle. If they don't know/like you, you have to do something to avoid them running off. Just keep in mind, murphy's law definitely applies with goats... If they can find a way to get in trouble, you can count on it happening!

KBS

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We use the Petsafe Keepsafe Breakaway dog collars. There are two rings on either side of the breakaway area that you would clip the leash to when you want to walk them. When there is nothing clipped to the rings, the collar will break away with a small amount of pressure.

rasheika

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you. I will check out these collars. The breakaway cat colors I have just break away when you look at them. Hoping these might work a little better. I never planned to leave them alone chained up, I just want to be able to move them throughout my property without them eating certain plants etc.