Has anyone here ever boarded horses?

black_cat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
**the 'p' key on my computer is broken, so I have to copy paste every 'p'. Sometimes I forget, so I apologize for any selling errors!**
Has anybody here ever boarded horses, either being the one housing other peole's horses, or boarding your horses at another place? What was your experience? How much money did it cost/bring in? Was it worth the cost/work? I'm asking this because when discussing farm possibilities, several of my friends have recommended boarding horses to bring in money.

Hillenmeyer

Just born
Reaction score
it very much depends on your area. I grew up outside of chicago, my friends pay over $600/month for board. We are in wisconsin, in the country and I dont know anyone that pays more than $300/month for board. It'd depend on what hay you get and cost. My experience growing up in the horse world, Horse people are CRAZY! Some crazy good, some are just wacky. If you open up your place for boarding horses, be careful. Horse people can be super picky about hay, footing, shavings, fencing, weather... We have our horses on our property and our dairy farmer neighbor wants to bring his girlfriends horses over for the winter b.c one is arthritic and i just cringe at the thought of having that liability, the pickieness, the extra eye on them... I am a horse person, i love horses, but they are work, they are fragile and I would avoid it.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Then there's the $$$ issue. Some don't pay well, some think they bought the farm! The whole thing can go real well or real wrong.

Remember the liability you are subjected to with fence, damage, visitors, injury, etc. Talk with insurance and attorney for contracts.

black_cat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If you've never owned, leased, dealt with horses before, I'd suggest NOT opening your place to boarding.
That makes LOADS of sense- but I am experienced with horses, and this would be happening after several years of experience owning my own horses. I wouldn't dream of taking anyone else's without proper experience.

black_cat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
it very much depends on your area. I grew up outside of chicago, my friends pay over $600/month for board. We are in wisconsin, in the country and I dont know anyone that pays more than $300/month for board. It'd depend on what hay you get and cost. My experience growing up in the horse world, Horse people are CRAZY! Some crazy good, some are just wacky. If you open up your place for boarding horses, be careful. Horse people can be super picky about hay, footing, shavings, fencing, weather... We have our horses on our property and our dairy farmer neighbor wants to bring his girlfriends horses over for the winter b.c one is arthritic and i just cringe at the thought of having that liability, the pickieness, the extra eye on them... I am a horse person, i love horses, but they are work, they are fragile and I would avoid it.
The area part makes a lot of sense- because there wouldn't be as many places to board the horses if you're nearer the city, right? Does the person paying board also cover food, shavings, vet cost, etc, or is it all you?

black_cat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Then there's the $$$ issue. Some don't pay well, some think they bought the farm! The whole thing can go real well or real wrong.

Remember the liability you are subjected to with fence, damage, visitors, injury, etc. Talk with insurance and attorney for contracts.
Would one want to ask for pay upfront for each month? Or does it not work like that?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, it's always pay in advance....so, no payment and what do you do???? You have possession and responsibility for a live animal.

Can't not feed, turn lose off farm, what? The courts will give you right to collect, take you 60 days and no money in hand. In some states you can have a lien on animal. Back to attorney before taking on the business, to know your rights.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Check out insurance cost and liability. Any time you let the public on your property you are responsible for anything stupid that they do. No matter that it is their fault, as owner you are held responsible. Personal injury attorneys get rich off this.
I’ve had horses practically all my life. Spooky horse plus idiot owner equals lawsuit. It’s bad enough to have to put up with idiots, then have them sue you because they got hurt on your property. No way I’d take that on.

Hillenmeyer

Just born
Reaction score
The area part makes a lot of sense- because there wouldn't be as many places to board the horses if you're nearer the city, right? Does the person paying board also cover food, shavings, vet cost, etc, or is it all you?
If we were to rent our pasture out. I would charge an amount that covers maintenance to the pasture (reseeding, spraying for weeds..) and enough to cover cost of hay in winter. Owner is 100%reliable for vet and farrier issues and care of horse of it gets injured. I would charge extra if it needs grain or supplements that I would have to feed on a daily basis. Yes charge board up front. There are people that will not pay and move from place to place with their horses and free load. The horse world is really tricky. I wouldn’t suggest it as an easy way to get income or make use of your property. Rent it to sheep or goats instead

Latest posts