Has anyone here ever used the Ballista Penetrating Bolt Gun from bunnyrancher.com?

HornyToadAcres

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Very interested in your experience. I have wrung chicken's necks (culls going to dogs). Hubby does a cone and cut if we are eating them. I have solemnly sworn to myself that I *will* butcher the rabbits but having an efficient and humane way to do it is great. So far, of all the videos I've watched, I will have to use the broomstick as it looks most efficient but an efficient inexpensive bolt would be great.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We had a spring loaded blade at the bottom of the cone which worked a treat. Put the chicken in the cone and pull the cord and the blade would take off their head. The blade and spring were from the hardware store. The blade started out as a hand held weeding tool and the spring was one of the heaviest ones they had in their box of assorted springs. The blade was pulled back and held back by a clip with a cord tied to it. This was made before digital cameras so I don't have a picture of it, but I'm sure most anyone could figure it out if they wanted to make one.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a spring loaded blade at the bottom of the cone which worked a treat. Put the chicken in the cone and pull the cord and the blade would take off their head. The blade and spring were from the hardware store. The blade started out as a hand held weeding tool and the spring was one of the heaviest ones they had in their box of assorted springs. The blade was pulled back and held back by a clip with a cord tied to it. This was made before digital cameras so I don't have a picture of it, but I'm sure most anyone could figure it out if they wanted to make one.
I’m sure no one is putting their fingers up inside that cone, but just the thought of a spring loaded blade is giving me the willies! 😱

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I’m sure no one is putting their fingers up inside that cone, but just the thought of a spring loaded blade is giving me the willies! 😱
The chicken guillotine may be less risky than a caged bolt gun since it's stationary. Kinda like the difference between a chop saw and a circular saw. Both are basically the same tool, but one is set in one place and the other isn't. The spring loaded blade would only be set right before use and it was set without fingers getting anywhere near the front of the blade. It was a home built tool, though, I don't know of anyplace that sells them. Maybe the folks at bunnyrancher.com can build some of them?

Latest posts