Hatching/Incubation Help

casportpony

True BYH Addict
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'd like some advice please.

This is my first time incubating duck eggs.

I'm incubating Indian runner eggs and last night one of the ducklings in the egg piped the internal membrane and was chirping and moving around in the egg. This started at roughly 8.30pm and carried on until I went to bed at 10pm. However, today, there has been no movement and no chirping what so ever. Is this long period of silence normal?

Any advice would be very much appreciated .

Thank you

casportpony

True BYH Addict
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Unanswered from BYC:
"
Hi everyone.

I'm incubating Indian runner eggs and last night one of the ducklings in the egg piped the internal membrane and was chirping and moving around in the egg. This started at roughly 8.30pm and carried on until I went to bed at 10pm. However, today, there has been no movement and no chirping what so ever. Is this long period of silence normal?

Thank you"

casportpony

True BYH Addict
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Unanswered post from BYC:

"Hi everyone.

Thank you"

MikeLM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Unanswered from BYC:
"
Hi everyone.

Thank you"
Yes, this sounds normal too me. There will be time between internal and external pip, then time between external pip and zip. Good luck!

DwayneNLiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, this sounds normal too me. There will be time between internal and external pip, then time between external pip and zip. Good luck!

what he said, ducks take FOREVER to hatch, internal to external can be 12-24 hours, external to zip can be 24-40 hours

Duckling and Spider

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Unanswered from BYC:
"
Hi everyone.

Thank you"
Ducks are notorious for taking days to hatch! 48 hours is fairly common, and some go over even that!

DwayneNLiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Kathy should we do one that has emergency in the title??
or edit this one?