Have A goat Question * New to Goats*

countrygirl911

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ok i know this is a stupid question but going to ask any way i have a nubian buck that has been weithered a few months ago he is 4 months 3 weeks old and i have a pygmy that is 3 and a half months old. i had my buck weithered and a few days afterwards i got my pygmy. for a few weeks nothing happened between them then wshen we put them out in their new pen he attempted to mount her several times at this time she was about 6 to 7 weeks old and this went on for about 2 weeks. The vet said that after 10 of having his balls cut off he could not produce any sperm to get her knocked up and not to worry about it so i kepted them together beliving my vet. now she is getting really fat and she is breathing heavely is there a way she could be knocked up i pray that she is not for one she is to little and 2 the buck is way bigger than her. here are a few pictures. i pray that she is not. one day i would love to but not till next year.

4504_dsc01846.jpg

4504_dsc01847.jpg

i pray that your answeres are no also she keeps wanting to go into the chicken coop when we have both pens open is this ok will it hurt her.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
countrygirl911 said:
ok i know this is a stupid question but going to ask any way i have a nubian buck that has been weithered a few months ago he is 4 months 3 weeks old and i have a pygmy that is 3 and a half months old. i had my buck weithered and a few days afterwards i got my pygmy. for a few weeks nothing happened between them then wshen we put them out in their new pen he attempted to mount her several times at this time she was about 6 to 7 weeks old and this went on for about 2 weeks. The vet said that after 10 of having his balls cut off he could not produce any sperm to get her knocked up and not to worry about it so i kepted them together beliving my vet. now she is getting really fat and she is breathing heavely is there a way she could be knocked up i pray that she is not for one she is to little and 2 the buck is way bigger than her. here are a few pictures. i pray that she is not. one day i would love to but not till next year.

i pray that your answeres are no also she keeps wanting to go into the chicken coop when we have both pens open is this ok will it hurt her.
So...
Your doeling is currently 3 1/2 months old.
Your wether (no longer a buck once they're castrated) is 4 3/4 months old.
They were together approx 3-? days after the castration until now.
Do I have that right?

How was your boy castrated? Banding or cutting or burdizzo? Cutting is pretty straight forward and you definitely wouldn't have an issue with breeding. Burdizzo leaves a lot to be desired imo and you could have a problem. Banding is pretty straightforward too and it's what I do on my farm...as long as both testicles are below the band it's fine and I put my wethers back in with the girls immediately (I wether at 8 wks of age).

It is not possible for a doeling to get pregnant prior to 8 wks of age and not possible for a buck to impregnate prior to 7 wks of age. So if your doeling was only 6-7 weeks old then you shouldn't have a problem.

Now, the next thing to address is that gestation (pregnancy) for goats is 5 months long.

Sounds like this happened 2 months ago? No way in that short of time would your doeling be hugely pregnant and breathing heavily because of it, even if it were possible that she were pregnant to begin with (which I don't think so).

I don't think she's pregnant. That's my opinion. If you're still concerned have your vet draw some blood for you to send to biotracking (or do it yourself easily).

RareBreedFancier

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm voting no, not pregnant. Goats sometimes mount each other as part of showing who's dominant. I'd say she's looking fat because she has a nice healthy rumen. :)

Just going in the coop won't hurt her but you don't want to let her eat the chicken feed. Most chicken feed comes with a warning on the label not to feed it to ruminants as it contains restricted animal material. If it's straight grain it can upset her rumen so you don't want her getting that either.

She looks like a sweetie, have fun with your new kids :D

countrygirl911

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
elevan said:
countrygirl911 said:

So...
Your doeling is currently 3 1/2 months old.
Your wether (no longer a buck once they're castrated) is 4 3/4 months old.
They were together approx 3-? days after the castration until now.
Do I have that right?

How was your boy castrated? Banding or cutting or burdizzo? Cutting is pretty straight forward and you definitely wouldn't have an issue with breeding. Burdizzo leaves a lot to be desired imo and you could have a problem. Banding is pretty straightforward too and it's what I do on my farm...as long as both testicles are below the band it's fine and I put my wethers back in with the girls immediately (I wether at 8 wks of age).

It is not possible for a doeling to get pregnant prior to 8 wks of age and not possible for a buck to impregnate prior to 7 wks of age. So if your doeling was only 6-7 weeks old then you shouldn't have a problem.

Now, the next thing to address is that gestation (pregnancy) for goats is 5 months long.

Sounds like this happened 2 months ago? No way in that short of time would your doeling be hugely pregnant and breathing heavily because of it, even if it were possible that she were pregnant to begin with (which I don't think so).

I don't think she's pregnant. That's my opinion. If you're still concerned have your vet draw some blood for you to send to biotracking (or do it yourself easily).
he was castrated by cutting at 8 weeks old at this time the pygmy was 2 weeks old the hummping went on for about 8 weeks afterwards. the vet said it was fine that his hormones just has to get out of his system and that nothing could happen. i just wanted to make sure that he could not knock her up he still trys to hump once in a while but not like he use to. the guy we got the pygmy from said that she was only a week old and bottled fed well he lied about the bottle feeding part and i believe he lied about the age to because when i went to the vet a week later to have her disbudded we had cut it close she had little buds already and if we waited a little longer they would have been to big to use the iron to remove them. they were nearly a 1/2 inch ling and a half inch wide. i thank you for you opinion i really appreciate it. i would love to find her a pygmy buck to mate her with in the spring but the man i got her from sold all of his all he has is boer.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Some kids get buds right away and others get them later. Two of mine got theirs within days of birth and two of them got them two weeks later. It depends on the kids. So don't worry about that. If the buckling was cut, You have nothing to worry about.

Does even mount each other. If a doe is in heat, the other does will mount her and she might mount them. It's just a hormonal thing. Wethers will do the same thing. Like Elevan said, mounting is also a dominance behavior.

It's OK.

She just looks well fed to me.

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I agree...dont worry I dont think she could be pregnant either a she is to young to come into heat. With my Nigerians I have had some not show horns till they were almost 1 month old, and 1/2 inch isnt to long to disbud as I have done it. He is just being a boy, I have had wethers that rode the girls even after they were 1 yr old and older. We call them tattletales here as tehy let us know when the girls are in true heat.

Latest posts