Having to get 3rd LGD for my puny 5 acres!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sounds good to me... At least you have a plan :) I'm sure, as with all plans, there will need to be some adjustments along the way... Just the way these things go.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is because the fires hit us on both sides I think. Once the hillsides reestablish in a couple of years I am hoping it will return to normal. In the meantime we will be getting 3rd LGD - they are worth 10x their weight in gold! Even if the coyotes dwindle back to 1 pack it won't hurt to have the extra protection.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
You’ll also have a trained replacement should anything happen to your others or one ages out of working.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absolutely. Oldest LGD is Harika, 5, spayed female Anatolian, 2nd is Bubba, 2, entire male (once he is OFA'd and collected he will be neutered too) so female Anatolian puppy will be 2 years + younger than Bubba. Good age differences - old enough to help train, young enough to still play, and puppy eventually can take over duties from Rika.
Also what if we get a cougar this winter? It has happened before and our previous LGDs and house dogs chased it off. 3 have a better chance than 2 or 1 of chasing it off without being injured. 3rd LGD is a win, win.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have 3 big dogs, 2 Great Pyrenees and a black Lab/Great Dane. The Lab mix is 105 pounds and is heavier than the GP's. he is a house dog, spoiled, loved by the grand babies, and a fantastic dog and companion. He is safe around all the animals and loves the baby lambs and baby chicks. Probably wouldn't take much to make him a LGD too, but we would have to give him up to the farm......not happening!

We have talked about adding another LGD in a couple of years. Our female will be hitting 10 years old and we will need another dog. I would like to find a really good Anatolian.

Gosh, don't we all love our dogs!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you want an Anatolian, my personal belief is that the best are the Lucky Hit dogs. Luckily you are in southeast Texas so contact Erick Conard in Leander just outside Austin. He has a website but you have to call him since his email is spotty.

He has a wonderful reputation in the Anatolian community, all the breeders know him and I have never heard anyone say anything but good things about him and his knowledge of the breed and LGDs. Everyone I talk to when they find out my dogs are Erick's tell me I have the best. He has concentrated on breeding working Anatolians for 30 years and his understanding of LGDs and how they work is phenomenal. His dogs are structurally correct, OFA etc. and work. He has had a lot of champions too because people used to put his dogs down as being "just working dogs" so he took some straight from the ranch to shows and made champions of them to prove that dogs would work and be correct. He doesn't bother with showing much though because he is committed to the working aspects. He won't sell you a dog until he has talked to you a lot either. He wants his dogs to go to working homes only and with people that will understand how to work with them. Tell him Rika and Bubba's mom sent you and he will know who you have been talking to. We have become good friends and I call him occasionally just to chat. His articles about training, and about Anatolian temperament and way of working are fascinating. They are in his website and he is full of information when you call him. He is a great resource whether you buy from him or not.

He doesn't do a lot of breeding but has a litter planned for next year. Both my dogs are from him and our new one will be from his lines but from his breeding partner and friend in VA. We need a puppy sooner than next year or I would wait for his litter. He knows the dogs she has (several of them littermates to my dogs or their parents) and told me which of her breedings would suit us best and blend with Rika and Bubba! LOL His puppies are usually booked a year or so in advance. He sometimes has older trained females available (12 months or so) once he decides on his keepers. Rika was 18 months and he has regretted selling her to us ever since. He says he kept the wrong one. LOL

After looking this over it sounds like a paid ad but I assure you it is not. I am just so enthusiastic about Erick and his knowledge of Anatolian LGDs that I have to recommend him. Another big plus is that any time I have a question or problem with a behavior I call and he is right there to help me with training issues, etc. If I leave a message I get a call back inside of an hour. Not too many breeders out there like him. He has become a personal friend too and we always drop in to see him and the dogs when we are in TX. I have left instructions if anything happens to us my DS is to call Erick about placing the dogs in the proper working homes! LOL

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Isn't his writing and research fascinating?! I love the article about the Anatolians tails signaling the flock where to go. He actually got down on his hands and knees to research it on the level the sheep and goats would be to see the dog's tail! He is so much fun to talk to in person too.