Having trouble settling on one dog

Martlet

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I've always had hunting dogs, mostly labradors. Love them, and may get another some day. However, I've since moved to a remote area and started a small homestead. We have about 50 15-50 chickens at any given time as we settle on a breed. We have pigs in and out, and a garden. Rabbits and goats may come next year. We haven't had a predator "problem" because we secure all the chickens and the pigs have gotten bigger. We do frequently have raccoons, bear, coyotes, and fox on the property, though.

I'd like a dog to fit into the mix. It would primarily be a pet, but we want something that can stand up to a predator in the event they meet. We want something that typically predisposed to eating my poultry, if there is such a thing. I've been researching this for awhile and spoken to some breeders. Breeds I've looked at are:

Pyrenees: I was told this dog wouldn't work because my property isn't fenced and it will take off, even if trained.

Maremma and Bernese Mountain Dog: I was told I don't have enough animals to keep these dogs working, and they needs to live with the livestock.

Anatolian Shepherd: Haven't found a local breeder to speak with yet.

Am I just out of luck? Should I just get a mutt and train it as best as I can. What does everyone else use or think may work in a situation like mine?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The Pyr is known to be a roamer but oh you will love them once you own one and they don't all roam, but...

How much property do you have and can you fence part of it? If you get goats you will want it fenced. The Bernese Mountain Dog is not and LGD and if you want to put them with the livestock they would not be your best choice.

You need more than one dog so plan on two, they work better in pairs and with bear and coyote two would be a minimum.

You would love an Anatolian too, great great dogs. Most LGDs will learn to leave the poultry alone but it is not a given, nor is it immediate. Took my male about 18 months to stop having chicken tenders. :(

@Southern by choice, you need to chime in here. :)

Martlet

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks! I work about 2-3 acres now, but they can run around on over 100 before they start ticking someone off.

I have tons of fences on my property, and will get more if I have goats. None of them are really "dog" fences. They are mostly electric and section off small areas, not the entire property.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Electric fences work great with LGDs. Start them with them as pups and they will learn to respect the fence. I have 4' tall 2x4 no climb fence but without that hot wire my dog would be over it in a minute but not with the wire on it. 100' acres is a huge area for dogs to protect even with a pair. You really need to give them a smaller area anyways unless you have stock on all of it.

I have 3 dogs, a 3/4 pyr x 1/4 toli male and a Toli/Ovcharka/Akbash/Pyr female and then a Toli/Ovcharka/Akbash/Maremma female puppy. I love my dogs and won't ever go back to farming without them. It would really be good if you had the goats before the dogs, or at least soon. The dogs need to learn what their job is when they are young. It can be done later, but sooner is better.

And by the way...you NEED goats....really really NEED goats...just sayin' :hide Yes, I am an enabler. :lol:

Where do you live?

Dage

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am partial to Anatolian Shepherds...thats what I want. Done a lot of research and been looking at them for a long time drooling over em. I have no real experience though so...Southern By Choice would be the go to!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My female acts and looks like a Toli, and I love her to pieces. My male looks and acts like a Pyr and he is my baby so I love him too. The short hair is nicer to care for that's for sure. And my puppy...Mia is just a brat of a love bug...not sure that she will ever truly be an LGD.

Martlet

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Electric fences work great with LGDs. Start them with them as pups and they will learn to respect the fence. I have 4' tall 2x4 no climb fence but without that hot wire my dog would be over it in a minute but not with the wire on it. 100' acres is a huge area for dogs to protect even with a pair. You really need to give them a smaller area anyways unless you have stock on all of it.

I have 3 dogs, a 3/4 pyr x 1/4 toli male and a Toli/Ovcharka/Akbash/Pyr female and then a Toli/Ovcharka/Akbash/Maremma female puppy. I love my dogs and won't ever go back to farming without them. It would really be good if you had the goats before the dogs, or at least soon. The dogs need to learn what their job is when they are young. It can be done later, but sooner is better.

And by the way...you NEED goats....really really NEED goats...just sayin' :hide Yes, I am an enabler. :lol:

Where do you live?

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm only currently working 2 to 3 acres. I meant if they are roaming, there are over 100 acres to roam without getting into other people's business.

I'm in New Hampshire.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Need I say more? ;)
This is BLUE!
lgd-blue-anatolian-pyr-june-19-2016-008-2-jpg.19677

My computer is broke... so this is very hard to do and can't do much :(

Above is one of my dogs (pups) The two pictured here are Anatolian /Pyrenees Cross. My avatar is the sire and dam. YES THEY WERE PLANNED! I have tolis, pyrs, and toli/pyrs. I like the well put together toli pyr myself.

They have great personality, great power and keen ability. They can be very good as a "farmdog" . WE use ours as Livestock guardians not farmdogs but they are suited for such. Not all pyrs roam but have the propensity to do so. Not sure what region you are in but that may play a part in what you need as well. No other dogs can deal with coyote, wolf, bears like a LGD breed.

Computer fritzing again ( borrowed laptop that is semi operable)... try more in a bit

Reactions: TAH

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
See, she is the go to girl for dogs...I was just filling in. :)

Well if the dog is free to roam the 100 acres he will do so and I am sure they can find a lot of predators to chase off with that much land. But even the temp. hot wire netting will usually work if they are taught early that it hurts.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You will need to understand the hard wiring of a LGD breed is very different.

My line is always the same... "They are a species unto themselves."

They ARE NOT like other dogs. They are smarter than you, know how to do their job and resent people that interfere with what they have been bred to do for hundreds, possibly longer, years.

RESPECT makes a WONDERFUL LOYAL FAITHFUL LGD.

Respect and trust are the two main factors. The dog can do things you cannot. You can do things the dog cannot. PARTNERSHIP is key.

All my dogs are successful. They are successful because I give that room to become the great dogs I know they will be. I trust them they trust me.

grrrr screen screaming at me like the exorcist .... back when I can