Grabbed Frame 344 copy.jpg
Grabbed Frame 345 copy.jpg
Grabbed Frame 347 copy.jpg
Grabbed Frame 349 copy.jpg

Owl perched by our hen house:
DSCN5814 copy.jpg
DSCN5815 copy.jpg
DSCN5814 copyc.jpg

Chomper really doesn't like coons coming on to the farm.
676A2547.JPG
coon.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good dog Chomper! LOL I love a good dog! Great pictures of the hawk and owl. I hear owls, but rarely see one, much less get a picture!

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good dog Chomper! LOL I love a good dog! Great pictures of the hawk and owl. I hear owls, but rarely see one, much less get a picture!
We Grand Central Station Owl wise right now. They are so loud. Talking back and forth like roosters.
They are everywhere flapping by in the air. They don't fly high in the sky like Hawks. They swoop from tree to tree and very low. They will startle you if you are caught off guard. They are like the big flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz..lol
Here is a different shot..
DSCN5811c.jpg

So far, they don't mess with my tree flock. I have a handful of 100% free birds who sleep in a tree. The tree is bare from the season and has nothing but branches to hide them.
20171230_195609.jpg

But the Owls are after these...
20171208_181855.jpg
They are after the RED MEAT. Plenty of them. We are out in the country. These scavengers are in numbers and the Owls know it.
My dogs are going nuts.
Chomper went loco after a possum just after dark last eve.
Season is changing, all the critters are more active.. and hungry.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I've had the large (and smaller) owls fly over me here and it's startling how silent they are in flight. I have no idea how you were able to get so close, with light to take a picture. The ones here won't stay still long enough to get anywhere near them. I can stand outside at night and hear them calling back and forth. Of course I have hawks/falcons as well and those danged black buzzards. I've heard when owls attack crows at roost during the night. That was a scream fest let me tell you. I suppose if they run out of rats, they might consider taking a roosting chicken if they know it's there. Chomper is a great looking farm dog!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Impressive pictures of the owls and hawks. They do a number on the poultry here. Guess we don't have as many rodents available. Coons are a real pain and will open hooks and eyes to get at the chickens. Possums are a pain too and skunks are a real problem. There are more and more predators lately it seems. We have red foxes but they mostly leave the poultry alone in their coops. Like to see them cuz when they are around we don't see the coyotes as much. Not that they are a threat but the two species don't seem to like to inhabit the same area at the same time.

Latest posts