Hawks?

SassyKat6181

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had a hawk feast on one of my 5lb full grown rhode island reds yesterday. Was still eating it, right outside the coop, when I went to close the girls in for the night. The other 29 hens and 12 ducks were petrified! :hit I would be very careful of your baby goats.

p.s. I was told by another goat farmer that if you can set up little runs, 6 feet wide and long, that the hawk cannot land in there. :hu

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have a lot of red tailed hawks here on and around our ten acres. So we keep our chickens in a covered pen full time and don't put our ND bottle kids out in pens until they are a couple months old.

I love looking out my kitchen window and seeing the RT's hunting in the back pasture and along our irrigation canals. They are such beautiful birds!

redtailgal

Reaction score
SassyKat6181 said:
I had a hawk feast on one of my 5lb full grown rhode island reds yesterday. Was still eating it, right outside the coop, when I went to close the girls in for the night. The other 29 hens and 12 ducks were petrified! :hit I would be very careful of your baby goats.

p.s. I was told by another goat farmer that if you can set up little runs, 6 feet wide and long, that the hawk cannot land in there. :hu
This is NOT true. I've seen hawks land in much much smaller places.

SassyKat6181

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
SassyKat6181 said:

This is NOT true. I've seen hawks land in much much smaller places.
Good to know! Thanks

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had hawks killing my chickens for a while until someone told me to take fishing line and run it across the top of my pen. I did that and cut some white plastic trash bags into strips and tied them to the line. That stopped the hawks from killing my chickens. Not sure why because there was still room for them to get into the pen but who cares......it worked.

Fluffygal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
treeclimber233 said:
I had hawks killing my chickens for a while until someone told me to take fishing line and run it across the top of my pen. I did that and cut some white plastic trash bags into strips and tied them to the line. That stopped the hawks from killing my chickens. Not sure why because there was still room for them to get into the pen but who cares......it worked.
It somehow messes with their perception I think. I remember reading a post on Backyard Chickens from a guy that did that with CDs.

CityClucker

Just born
Reaction score
You need to more so worry about ravens a previously said. I have a flock take down a injured ewe, with ravens they go for the eyes once they are gone the animal is done...its always a good idea to have a shotgun in the barn if you have ravens around.

Latest posts