hay feeder ideas

RamahRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm looking to build some feeders for my sheep. But having a hard time finding good info on what works best so they can have good access and minimize waist.

Right now I have just been using milk crates and 1 foot high water trough..

They seem to do good but they seem to waist alot and just eat the finer good stuff. I know it's always a battle to minimize waist but what works for you.

I planned on building a v shaped feeder but do not want to waist my time and money if they do not work good. Any thoughts

Attachments

• images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    13.2 KB · Views: 163

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=25675 Plans for the feeder from Premier One.

I built a single sided one for my goats and then modified it to be a double sided one a year later. I LOVE IT. It is sturdy, with little waste. I used the Premier panels on one side and then the 4x4 stock panels from TSC on the other. I like the Premier panels better. I also added panels to the ends so the kids can't climb in the feeder. The smaller goats can sleep in the tray, but they outgrow that soon enough. I have been through a lot of feeders and IMO it is the BEST. I am building two more of them when the new barn is done. I wish I knew how to weld, I would build them out of steel.

RamahRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So pretty similar to the one I pictured. You used 4x4 on one side and what is the premiers 2x4? If so which size works better

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The goats have an easier time getting their noses through the Premier, they are 3x5. But they do tend to rub a little band across their nose but no big deal unless you show them. The 4x4 work ok, I have many other feeders made with those. The design of the Premier one is good, their plans are good, no guessing.

RamahRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think the feed store only have 4x4 so that maybe what I have to use

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will probably use 4x4 on my new ones, the shipping from Premier wasn't horrible, but it is nice when things are local. One thing that the plans have you do is attach the panel with staples...yeah...right. I tried but the lumber was really hard so I put a few pieces of 2x4 across the top sandwiching the panels in between those and the 2x4 top rail and screwed them together. I use screws for everything.

RamahRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm going to build mine out of metal. Are the 4x4 squares just to small? What's the perfect size the feed store has a few different ones

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like a nice hay feeder. Wonder if you could use 1"x4" slats in place of the wire panels? Just space them the inches apart that you desire.

RamahRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If your making it out of wood I'd imagine you could just put some slats across where the wire would be making the openings any size you want. I'd use a 2x2 lumber for the slats

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't like slats for the goats as they try to get too many heads in there at one time. Not too bad with adults but when you add kids to the mix they are always getting smashed by an adult head. The panels have been great.

The 4x4 isn't too small really, at least not for goats, they have figured it out and empty the feeder everyday; they have to work a little harder but maybe that is a good thing. I have tried the big stock panel with 6x8 or something along that line, those the goats get their heads in and smash the kids just like the slats, maybe worse. I like to make sure that no heads go through the wire when eating.