hay feeder ideas

RamahRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Does this style of feeder help force them to eat some of the coarser hay or do they just keep pulling it out until they get what they want. With my basket feeders they seem to eat all the good stuff and just leave a basket full of junk they won't touch. Good quality Timothy hay.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't really know if they will eat more or not. I always feed alfalfa and with 30 goats there is always someone that will lick the feeder clean. I do notice less feed on the ground now that there is that platform under their chin.

RamahRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'd love to give my sheep alfalfa it's alot easier to get around here and cheaper. But I've read that you shouldn't feed alfalfa to sheep but I'm not an expert

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
While at UCD, all of the sheep at sheep science as well as Vet School were fed alfafa hay when not out on pasture. I always fed alfalfa hay when not out on pasture and also suplemented the pastures with alfalfa hay to hundreds of my commercial as well as purebred Suffolk sheep. :)

firstimehogger

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
out of pallet wood....then dyed with Rit dye mixed in hot water....

Attachments

• hay feeder.jpg
    hay feeder.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 159

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
out of pallet wood....then dyed with Rit dye mixed in hot water....
Awesome job! I love the Rit dye idea, it sure dresses up plain pallet wood. Your place looks real nice, post some more pictures so we can admire! Welcome to the forum.