Hay for young goats

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The buck looks part Nubian... he was crossed with another breed that had erect ears. His Airplane large ears say part Nubian. He is the one that looks Alpine/Nubian.
The doeling... um... dwarf.

She looks bigger than 5 lbs.
Are you providing hay for her?

Frankie25

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Okay. Thank you! Do you think we can go ahead and band him? I offered him alfalfa today and he gobbled it up. The little female got out of her pen and he hurt her on accident (she is back in the house now, thank goodness nothing was broken) I took her to the vet today and she got some pain meds and we rechecked her fecal which showed positive for coccidia so her and the male are getting ponazuril for that . And she weighed 8.2 lbs. I give her free choice coastal hay. I'm really worried that even when the male gets castrated he's gonna be too much for her... is that a thing or will they be okay once he is castrated and she is bigger? I have no idea how big either one is gonna get. Thank you so much.

The buck looks part Nubian... he was crossed with another breed that had erect ears. His Airplane large ears say part Nubian. He is the one that looks Alpine/Nubian.
The doeling... um... dwarf.

She looks bigger than 5 lbs.
Are you providing hay for her?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
What does he do to her?
If he is an Alpine?Nubian... BIG!
Dwarf- a range 60 lbs- 80 lbs

We have Standard goats and dwarf and miniatures in between... they are all fine together.

Frankie25

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He is obsessed with mounting her, and pretty hard core. He also tries to just "push her around." And she's so small when he pushes her it sends her flying. I didn't realize they would try and breed so young so I was wanting to get him banded or castrated but I'm worried about doing him too young and risking stones but then I worry he won't stop mounting her if castrated older

What does he do to her?
If he is an Alpine?Nubian... BIG!
Dwarf- a range 60 lbs- 80 lbs

We have Standard goats and dwarf and miniatures in between... they are all fine together.

junkman

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Can you post some pics? That may help and see if it is a good time to castrate.
Our are done (we cut- we do not band) anywhere from 8 weeks to 12 weeks. The Nigerians usually 10-12 weeks. Standards and Miniatures 8-9 weeks.
We kind of "eye" "things".
We also never give baking soda as it interferes with the Ammonium Chloride- renders it void.

As far as the doeling... even if she is a nigerian dwarf- if she is 5 weeks and only 5 lbs... something isn't right.
Is she on the bottle? How much is she eating?
I am glad I read this post, I have baking soda as free choice for my 6 Nigerian dwarf weathers

Dogsincharge

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My goats ate alfalfa and liked it. I also didn't really have an age restriction either with my goats. My female wouldn't touch hay when she was little and would only drink milk while my 3 month old loved it. When the baby one was ready which was probably 4 weeks she started eating small bits of it then she went to constantly eating it.

Latest posts