Hay in winter

pmitch10

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My husband and I are having issues over how much to feed our 3 Highlanders as we are new to all of this. We purchased a 6 year old female due to calf in the spring.....her 8 mo. old heifer, and just recently a 13 yr. old bull.

My husband thinks just feeding a bit of hay in the morning and late afternoon is enough along with about a 1pound of grain in the afternoon.

He gets up early to do the haying....but when I am leaving for work around 7:30 they are finished all their hay and mooing for more.....in my opinion........so I have given them a few handfuls more of hay each.

He is trying to stretch out the hay because of the new bull but they were all use to having those big round bales to eat off from when they wanted and now they get some just twice a day. Is that enough when the ground is frozen and covered with a layer of snow?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No, it's not enough. They should have hay in front of them all the time if possible. If they are complaining they are hungry.

Their only getting 1 pound of grain for the 3 of them? I would think this is to low. I know highlanders don't need as much as some other breeds but, that's not much.

The bull may be better sold. I'm sure Wynedot will register in later but, he answered a post yesterday about a 12 year old bull and said that is just to old for a bull in his opinion. With a herd that small you maybe better off with AI especially if the addition of the bull means you have to stretch what hay you have and they therefore, don't get enough to eat.

By the way, could you put your state in for the location in your profile. There are things that depend on where your at such as, the amount of grain they should get. In a warm climate they don't need as much as in a cooler climate, etc.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
if i read your post right your in the snow area.3hd needs 20lbs of ea a day in cold country.so 1 60lb sq bale a day for the 3.now they need more feed than a pound to keep their engery up.they need about 15lbs of feed a day for the 3.did you have the bull fert tested.if he had an 85 or better on the test he is good.70 an under he is no good.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi, there,

We have two Scottish Highlands, a 4-year old cow and a 2-year old first calf heifer. We started feeding hay in September to increase their feed as our pasture isn't great, and are exclusively feeding hay and also a bucket of soaked beet pulp with alfalfa pellets and a bit of grain each every evening at the suggestion of other breeders and also the feed store.

Increased nutrition is especially important during the last trimester of fetal development, and even more so during the first three months or so of nursing a calf because that's such a drain on their bodies.

Our girls plow through a bale of nice timothy hay every day, plus get their buckets in the evening (1 coffee can of pellets, soaked in water to cover + an inch or so, mixed with 1/2 coffee can of alfalfa pellets and 1/3 coffee can of grain (we're giving a tiny bit more right now with them nursing), divided between the girls' buckets. One of the calves (14 days old) has started eating hay, too, but is still nursing, and we won't be giving him any grain.

By the way...you'll probably want to keep your heifer away from the bull until she's ready at 15 months or so to be bred. Most folks aim to have them calve at or just over 2 years old. And once she's pregnant, you'll need to watch her feed carefully as they're still growing AND trying to grow a calf and then nurse it.

pmitch10

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No.....they are getting at least a pound of grain each. We are located in NH. We were told by the previous owner that he didn't give them grain but they did have plenty of hay. I do go out there with treats like carrots and bagels but that is not much.

I too believe they should have hay at all times......

Thanks for your input....now to convince him. Hopefully he will read this...thanks.

pmitch10

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
OK: now the husband has to reply.
Bull, pregnant cow, and calf are being given 40 to 60 lbs of hay a day split between them (sq. bale, and loose 2nd cut from a round bale).
The two grown ups get 2 lbs grain a day each of a mixture of sweet 16 course and pressed corn. The 8 month old calf gets 1 to 1 and half lbs a day.
The calf is in separate paddock from the bull and her mother - having just gone thru weaning (which accounts for some of the bawling; even though there is less now). (The rest of the bawling is because they don't like to see me drive off to work for the day.)!
The calf has two piles of hay going and never cleans up what she is given for the day - which assures me she is given pleanty.
Mom is due in April; January will see an increase of feed for her. As spring approaches she will be put in with the calf so the calf can be an observer of the birth of the new calf.
In March the bull will go down 2 padocks under the pines to be a alone until the cow is to be bred in early summer at an adjacent paddock away from the 8 month old calf of course.
Bulls old - (0' give'em a chance before he becomes hamburger).!!!
Rob the Celt.