Hay pellets instead of grain?

Ctittle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Does anyone successfully use hay pellets instead of grain? I’d like to get away from feeding my goats grain. They get an alfalfa/clover/grass mix hay (which they’re not eating much of still it’s still green here), all the browse/grass/weeds they want to forage for, and have loose minerals (Purina goat) available at all times. I have two bucks and two wethers (all Nigerian Dwarf) in one pasture (one acre) and four does (three ND, one Pygmy) and one little Pygmy wether in another.
The does, hopefully, are all pregnant. All the goats seem to adore the alfalfa pellets I’ve tried, almost as much as the grain they were getting before. My plan is to switch the boys to Timothy pellets, and the girls to an alfalfa/Timothy pellet mix.
Does anyone milk their goats successfully without grain? I know the boys don’t generally need the grain, but I want to keep my girls in good condition.
Also, I’ve read a few random comments on the internet about grain encouraging cocci issues. Anyone with knowledge about that?

Thanks so much! We’ve only had goats since March, so we’re still learning.

Latest posts