Hay shelters, ideas?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, so went out to take pictures and see where the panels could go.
Came up with some new things and drew on the pictures.
Also, could keep the ewes in the rams' old 1/4th of the barn(moved the rams in with the horses full time), but would need 2 shelters built for breeding season.

Anywhoot, pic time now.

(A)- Double panel deep. Brown rectangles are wood pallets. Sheep like to rub on edges, so wood is better than the wire and tarp. I'd make them more pointy than just a U shape. Should help some with snow. Heavy UPosts would be used to keep them from flying away.
2016-07-07 13.12.40.jpg

(B)- And these, I could use the left over barn. Blue is supports. Brown is wood pallets keeping the ends off the ground. Inside the grey building is a concrete floor 2ft off the ground the sheep currently use.
2016-07-07 13.12.27.jpg

(C1)- One panel deep huts on inside of fence under tree branches.
2016-07-07 13.12.07.jpg

(D)- Long row making a tunel along the outside of the easement fence.
2016-07-07 13.11.54.jpg

(E)- Long row making a tunel along the inside of the easment fence where it's out of the way of vehicles.
2016-07-07 13.11.43.jpg

(C2)- One panel deep huts on the outside of the fence under & between the trees. Like the one I used to have up for hay, leftovers of it at the right.
2016-07-07 13.11.30.jpg

I wonder which is best.....What do you guys like best?

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like B best. The existing building would give it some support, and it's close to the animals (is it close to where you'd be feeding?).

The long tunnels use less panels than the individual huts, but I think getting hay into and out of them might be more of a pain. The individual huts - it looks like you don't get as much storage space in them relative to how much panel/roofing you have to use (hope I'm saying that right).

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Redid the individual wraps again...IDK what I was not-thinking to use thin plastic instead of this 4mil! I blame the heat!! lol

Two more left, had to move old hay out of the way, which made it too hot and I had to go run indoors to chill down some.

Like funky mushrooms or something...Or maybe giant ghosts with just their heads sticking out of the ground...lol

hay.jpg

Oh....now I want to draw faces on my bales...
Dawn_Roode-082_copy.jpg

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya know, some bright person would make a large fortune coming up with reusable individual round covers shaped like a shower cap with elastic/pull tight something or other at the bottom to cinch the cover closed. The plastic would have to be substantial. Any smart folk out there? I'd line up to buy it.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol, whole time I was wrapping them, I was thinking of finding pool liner and gluing them in a big cube shape and adding straps to it or something. But I wonder if such limited air is okay for them....Before, it covered several and air easily blew them dry.

Sudden bad rain storm came flying through just as I got done weeding the front yard.
2016-07-12 20.03.26.jpg

They had 6mil, but it was in a roll twice as long and wide.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are blessed to be in a good community. Quite a few of us work together to help each other. There are some that don't get it and are not a part of our little group, but probably would be the first to scream for help if things went to crap.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Folks that don't participate in their little communities are really missing the boat. There are only 4 households that makes up our little valley and we are all the time doing something to help each other out.