Hay shelters, ideas?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Redid the individual wraps again...IDK what I was not-thinking to use thin plastic instead of this 4mil! I blame the heat!! lol

Two more left, had to move old hay out of the way, which made it too hot and I had to go run indoors to chill down some.

Like funky mushrooms or something...Or maybe giant ghosts with just their heads sticking out of the ground...lol

View attachment 19691
The above is a method of covering hay that can actually increase the likelihood of interior mold because it amounts to building a sauna. Neither the plastic sheeting nor the tarp should come all the way to the ground. The hay must "breathe" otherwise moisture is sucked from the ground and from the air, and condenses on the underside of the plastic sheeting or tarp. Viewed from the end, imagine a clock face--the covering on the sides shouldn't come down any farther than the 7o'clock and 5 o'clock positions and only 2/3 the way down on the ends--if even that much.
From MSST EdU:
It is desirable to leave the flat ends of the outside bales uncovered and to leave a few inches uncovered along the sides of the rows to allow moisture to escape and air to circulate under the bales

Another disadvantage of using plastic sheets is that condensation may occur under the bales if hay was moist when stored or if water gets under, and into, the bales. The result is that a significant amount of spoilage may occur next to the plastic even though rain cannot reach the hay. (This makes a strong case for making certain any hay stored using this technique is quite dry, preferably 18% moisture or less, before being covered and is not in contact with the soil.)

YRMV

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
2016-10-20 10.50.05.jpg

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya know, some bright person would make a large fortune coming up with reusable individual round covers shaped like a shower cap with elastic/pull tight something or other at the bottom to cinch the cover closed. The plastic would have to be substantial. Any smart folk out there? I'd line up to buy it.
They have them, in a variety of configurations, but they are rather expensive new.
I have used what is called cotton bale module covers, but they are so big, you have to have 2 rows of round bales side by side or the covers will go all the way to the ground--if covering a single row. One will cover about twelve 5x6 round bales--they have straps to keep the fabric tight. You can buy them used pretty cheap tho--from the cotton farmer, as the cotton gins/coops go around & replace the ones at the farm level every couple of years for free. I have several that I bought for $15 each and they have lasted five years here. They look like this on a module of cotton:
item2209.jpg

On a side by side double row of round hay bales, the sides come own just below the 3 and 9 o'clock positions if viewed from the round end of the bale. They are 54' long I believe.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
At about 2 AM on last Sunday morning a Mexican immigrant was working moving 1,300 lb. alfalfa bales to feed over 500 cows at a dairy near Vancouver, Wa. . The newscast didn't report if he was using a forklift , other equipment or hay hand hooks to move 1,300 lb. bales . One of the bales fell from the top of the stack and crushed 5 of his vertebra in the lower back and also severed his spinal chord. He will never walk again. He doesn't remember how or why the bale fell. Since he was working when the accident occured , Workman's Comp. will pay for most of his medical bills. Remember hay bales can hurt you, so be very careful !

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah I bet! Anything that weighs 1,300 pounds will hurt if it falls on you, even a 1,300 pound bale of feathers!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Farm work is dangerous. Since there aren't safety meetings on farms, most people don't have proper training and don't take proper precautions. What a tragedy for that man.