Hay stackers Grrrr.....

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Last summer, some friends helped us bring in our hay! They brought their truck and car trailer, loaded up at one field, stacked that in the loft, and then went out and brought in another load from another field. For a couple of years, they even hauled hay for us from a guy down south, never taking any money, just being good friends, I have no right to complain!
BUT, last summer was hay season from heck, and nobody was there to tell them that the big gap betwen the stacks, was supposed to be a walkway! It allows me to feed the inside pens, from the loft!
Our friends filled it in, tightly and too the ceiling!

Rather than feeding from the closer stacks, I have been carrying and feeding out those bales, to open up my walkway
I finally broke through yesterday!
Only to realize, "my boys" did not leave me enough room along the edge of the loft! (THIS, I can, have, and will, complain about, until spring!)
There is no way I can feed off the loft, into the weaner calf pen!
They will be moved soon, but for now, I use a dolly to get the bales down there, the feeder is a good foot taller than me, so I have to toss it hunk, by hunk above my head!

Oh, and why do the calves seem to think the hay on the dolly is better than the hay already in the feeder?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
because they love dealing you misery as your feeding.dont ya just hate it when people mess up the way you feed an move hay.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:barnie DH has learned to pile the hay around the chute in the hay mow the way I want it. He used to pile it in so close the bales got hung up half way down. No fun to unstick. After a couple of years of bitching I finally told him that he can through the hay down and deal with it if he continued to pile it that way. It gets piled my way now--he didn't want to do the work!

Oh, and they like it off the cart better because the grass is always greener on the otherside! :rolleyes:

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
thats why the things i can do.i do by myself because we dont do things alike.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
If I cold bring in and stack all the hay by myself, I would!

The boy did do better at following the stack plan this year! There is no hay under the leaks in the roof! (I hope)
The other walkway he was supposed to leave me, leads me just off the end of the other feeder. It's gonna take some practice throwing it a flake at a time in that one!

Since he really hates it when I send him over to drop and drag, he made that pile so big and tall, I barely fit getting to the feed bunk and did a lot of praying while I was on top, dropping bales down!