Hay

cattlequeen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I feed my rabbits an unlimited supply of hay. Timothy hay is what I use. Some other people have told me they use grass hay and alfalfa hay. What kind of hay do you chose to feed and why?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
When I had rabbits, I fed them orchard grass hay. It was what I was feeding my alpacas so I wasn't buying different types of hay.

cattlequeen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for you input ksalvagno! I haven't heard of orchard hay around where I live, but I haven't looked too hard for different kinds of hays.

KittyKatMe

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Mine get a mix of Timothy, Orchard, Oat, and Meadow grass hays. But any of these alone works just fine. Alfalfa is too high in protein and calcium, and should not be given. I am glad to see someone on the forum that feeds unlimited hay. Keep up the great work!:celebrate

mickey328

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What a bummer. Here in Colorado, alfalfa is the most easily obtained because it grows so abundantly. I was planning to use it when we get our meat rabbits :( We're still in the planning stages...DH is sketching ideas for cages. Once those are done, we'll go looking for rabbits. Seems most folk around here breed for pets or show, so it might be a tad more difficult to find good meaties.

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
KittyKatMe said:
Alfalfa is too high in protein and calcium, and should not be given. I am glad to see someone on the forum that feeds unlimited hay. Keep up the great work!:celebrate
Would you mind sharing your source for this? It is a little surprising to me since many of the pellet feeds use alfalfa meal as the primary ingredient. Alfalfa meal is just ground alfalfa. I've seen a lot of rabbits fed alfalfa over the years (fresh and baled) with no negative consequences. I'd be interested to read up more about it.

KittyKatMe

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If you feed alfalfa pellets, you must feed grass hays. But, sources such as Oxbow actually make timothy based pellets, which then it would be fine to feed alfalfa. My sources are mostly from talking to breeders and judges, so I cant post a link.

Petty

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Feeding a mix of hay with different protein content is far better than just feeding one type.

stonygarden

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I feed a handful of timothy hay to each rabbit at feeding time. I have 2 rabbits that never finish it. Others gobble it up before they start on their pellets.

Petty

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I plan feeding mine grass, fruits and mixed concentrates. That way, they get a balanced diet and grow faster.