1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. All of your pig talk got me in TROUBLE!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Contest Time!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Hay

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Rabbits' started by ViolinPlayer123, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Nov 21, 2017
    ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Chillin' with the herd

Hello!

Grass hay in square bales is relatively rare in our area. I have just 1 rabbit, and currently have been giving him hay from Walmart. However, he goes through them in about a week, and it costs about 10$ for a small portion of Timothy hay. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Forti-Diet-Natural-Timothy-Hay-96-0-OZ/47336166
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^This stuff.
    Is their any place better to buy a larger portion of hay for less? I will continue my search locally.

Thanks!

2. Nov 21, 2017
    farmerjan

farmerjan Loving the herd life

Where are you located? You could put the general area in your profile which would help others to try to "help you out" with some things. My best advise is the following; not knowing where you are: Is there a Tractor Supply near you? Or any type of local feed and farm supply like a county co-op feed mill? How about your county office building where there is some sort of ag or county extension agent. Try the high school for an ag dept. These type of people should be able to help you find someone around. Honestly, selling only one or two bales at a time is a pain for most farmers, but I fully understand you not needing any quantity. Do you have some sort of local "trading post or bulletin board" type paper? Try Craigslist under the farm/garden section. There's got to be some options. You may have to buy 5 or 6 bales, but they will "keep" if they are stored in the dry in a garage or shed or something.

Hope this gives you a jumping off place to look.

promiseacres and Pastor Dave like this.
  3. Nov 21, 2017
    ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Chillin' with the herd

I haven't tried our actual feed store, but L&M Fleet doesn't carry any. I will check there. I'm in MN. Thanks for helping. ;)

4. Nov 22, 2017
    promiseacres

promiseacres True BYH Addict

Fyi our bunnies get our "horse" hay. So at times they get a clover,grass mix. Other times they have gotten alfalfa,grass hay. Just depends on what we made. I just adjust amount if there's a lot of legumes. But of course they love it. So I guess I am saying be a bit flexible on type. I know timothy is just about next to impossible to find around here. It can't be grazed and doesn't grow as well as other grasses around here. I really like orchard grass for my critters. And it can be grazed and isn't as fragile as the Timothy.

ViolinPlayer123 and Pastor Dave like this.
  5. Nov 22, 2017
    DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Loving the herd life

Rabbits do just fine with horse hay sold by feed stores. If you have a livestock supply store near you, try there. Don't fall for the overpriced "specialty" rabbit hay.

Pastor Dave and ViolinPlayer123 like this.