Hay

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
After dreaming and researching and getting permission from the city (not to mention paying their fees), I'm finally at the point where I can get goats!

I'm looking at possibly getting 2 Lamancha-Nigerians doelings (twins)...but I have some questions about hay:

I'm in Oregon and checking online, I can get 120# bales of Orchard/Alfalfa for $16.50 each (2nd cutting). Roughly what size would a bale this heavy be? I'm trying to figure out how many I can squeeze in our goat shed. And is that a good price?

I've read so much over the last few years I feel like I should know this stuff but...it's getting all jumbled and I feel a bit overwhelmed. Thanks for any advice y'all can give this newbie.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't buy alfalfa, I buy round bales of Bermuda. Why don't you contact the seller and ask for dimensions

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most average "sq. bales" here weigh in the neighborhood of 40-65 lbs. It depends on the type of hay and how tight the bales are packed. They are 2 string. We get 5-6.00 a "sq bale". So if these are about 2-3x the weight, the price sounds reasonable.
It sounds like you might be getting into the "3 wire" bales, or the bigger 3 string ones, which are heavier and a bit bigger. I agree with @Baymule , call the supplier and get a dimension. I am not familiar with prices in your side of the country. Orchard grass/ alfalfa is a decent mix. 2nd cutting should be okay, alfalfa can be stemmy. Don't get first cutting, it has alot more stem then. If you call the supplier, they might have some other types hay available. Also ask if they have a hay analysis? Protein, TDN that sort of thing. We don't do it but when you get into "big time" hay selling, buyers want it. Don't blame them, when you are paying good money, you want good hay.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, I texted and they called back. Firstly, their ad didn't list a location. Turns out they're almost 5 hours away. They could deliver, but they deliver by the trailer load. I can't pay $800.00 for a load of hay, much less have the space to store it.

So now I'm trying to find something LOCAL and, boy, is it hard. I'm on the coast and just checking craigslist, there doesn't seem to be anything in my area! Guess I'll keep looking...something's gotta turn up, right?

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I called our local feed store. They sell grass hay - 50# bales - for $9.99 each.
When I asked if there was anything else around here, maybe a local farmer, they said to check out another feed store 45 minutes away. I could get 135# bales for $13.99 at this other place but when I add in the cost of gas, it's not as cheap as going with the first place.

I'm estimating that 2 small-ish goats would go through 300# of hay/month, so I'd be paying $60/month on hay. Does that sound reasonable?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Genipher......Hay, especially in February, is worth exactly whatever someone is willing to pay for it not a penny more or less. What is 'reasonable' in Oregon might not be 'reasonable' elsewhere or may be an absolute bargain otoh.
The 50lb local bale that costs $10/bale is 20 cents/lb.
A 50lb grass hay bale here (usually bahia or coastal bermuda) is running more than $10/bale because all hay is in very short supply here, and what little hay is available, whether small bales or large, is being brought in from out of state. Around $14/bale last time I looked here (I don't buy square bales any more)
When I asked if there was anything else around here, maybe a local farmer, they said to check out another feed store 45 minutes away. I could get 135# bales for $13.99 at this other place but when I add in the cost of gas, it's not as cheap as going with the first place.
You are getting almost three times as much hay by paying only $4 more per bale for the 135# bale..it breaks down to about a dime/lb. That savings should more than cover the gas you would burn in an hour and 1/2 round trip, but the convenience of buying a smaller bale may make it a better option.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So the price isn't as bad as I thought, then.
I'm thinking I'd rather pay a little extra and get the hay here in town rather than drive an hour and a half (round trip). Too bad nobody delivers. Though if I'm only getting 3-6 bales it probably wouldn't be worth their time.

I found out from the 2nd feed supply store that the reason everyone is so low on hay here is because the shipments haven't been able to come through. There's been too much snow / ice.
and apparently we don't have many hay farmers on the part of the coast. Seems everyone gets their supply from S. Oregon.

Is hay cheaper in the summer/spring?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If there is anyone local making hay, it will be cheaper in the summer when they are making it. Especially if you can go pick it up, when they are in the field making it and they don't have to handle it. The more often we handle the hay after the initial making, in the field... makes the price go up.
Like @greybeard said, it is worth what people are willing to pay for it. You need to maybe figure out what your needs will be and try to buy enough to get you through the year, at the summer prices. If there is a drought, or flooding, or constant wet weather, it will affect the prices as you can't make it if you can't get it dry, from too much water, and you can't make it if it doesn't grow, from no water.
Not to be a wise guy, but people need to take things like this into account when they have animals. I admire that you are trying to do your homework about the hay. Plus, you moved at a less than optimal time for getting your hay. You also need to figure out what you need to do for storage, and be able to store a years worth. Then you have options on getting it when it is available, and you have it put back when it might be scarce.
I would find a spot in the garage, or use one side, for hay storage if you don't have a barn. Seriously, hay has been in short supply here due to the constant wet conditions this past year and we are now even looking at what we have... and have had several people asking if we have some to sell. My son and I counted up tonight just rough figures, and we have about 480-525 rolls. We are feeding about 10 rolls a day... That's only another 45-50 days of hay and we were thinking we were in pretty good shape. The cattle are eating hay like there is no tomorrow. Have never seen our cattle go through hay like this. Partly is due to the constant cold wet weather, they are burning more calories to try to stay warm. Plus our cows with fall calves are eating alot to try to keep making milk for the baby beef calves.
There have been areas of drought, but mostly here in this general part of the southeast, we had constant rain last year. The hay that did get made is over mature and not the best quality and they are eating more of it to try to get the nutrition they need. We are supplementing the weaned calves with both grain and silage and they are eating that like candy.
Been a tough year.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
yes it is cheaper in the spring/summer. if you can get it out of the field and store it, you can get it even cheaper. Hauling hay is a special kind of treat, got a truck? You can stack it over your head in a building like a garage (park your vehicle outside-welcome to animals). You make hay bale steps. You climb the hay bale mountain, lugging a bale either behind you (going backwards dragging it) or pushing/tossing it in front of you. I've stacked bales up in the rafters before.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If there is anyone local making hay, it will be cheaper in the summer when they are making it. Especially if you can go pick it up, when they are in the field making it and they don't have to handle it. The more often we handle the hay after the initial making, in the field... makes the price go up.
Like @greybeard said, it is worth what people are willing to pay for it. You need to maybe figure out what your needs will be and try to buy enough to get you through the year, at the summer prices. If there is a drought, or flooding, or constant wet weather, it will affect the prices as you can't make it if you can't get it dry, from too much water, and you can't make it if it doesn't grow, from no water.
Not to be a wise guy, but people need to take things like this into account when they have animals. I admire that you are trying to do your homework about the hay. Plus, you moved at a less than optimal time for getting your hay. You also need to figure out what you need to do for storage, and be able to store a years worth. Then you have options on getting it when it is available, and you have it put back when it might be scarce.
I would find a spot in the garage, or use one side, for hay storage if you don't have a barn. Seriously, hay has been in short supply here due to the constant wet conditions this past year and we are now even looking at what we have... and have had several people asking if we have some to sell. My son and I counted up tonight just rough figures, and we have about 480-525 rolls. We are feeding about 10 rolls a day... That's only another 45-50 days of hay and we were thinking we were in pretty good shape. The cattle are eating hay like there is no tomorrow. Have never seen our cattle go through hay like this. Partly is due to the constant cold wet weather, they are burning more calories to try to stay warm. Plus our cows with fall calves are eating alot to try to keep making milk for the baby beef calves.
There have been areas of drought, but mostly here in this general part of the southeast, we had constant rain last year. The hay that did get made is over mature and not the best quality and they are eating more of it to try to get the nutrition they need. We are supplementing the weaned calves with both grain and silage and they are eating that like candy.
Been a tough year.

Yeah, it's snowed about 4 times here on the coast - very unusual! Winter seems to be more awful this year.

I have a bad habit of getting animals before having the set-up ready...I don't want to do that again! So I'm making a list of everything I need and getting everything ready before bringing home goats.

Well, we have the 10' x 20' shed for goats/hay. We don't have a garage, but we have a basement. I'm not sure how we'd get the hay INTO the basement, as the only entrance is through the house. Eventually I would like to get an extra shed for storage. I'd love to stock up as much as possible in summer so I don't have to think about it for the year.