Head Butting is Stupid

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, i didn't have to tell you this, did I? It's also not just rams who do it.

Stacey (don't blame me, i didn't name her) is a Blue Faced Leicester ewe who had two lambs and is currently indoors as the weather is too cold out for her lambs. Stacey was bottle fed and is a bit of a spoilt brat, but very loveable.. The hapless ewe in the pen next to her had two lambs, one of which strayed too near to Stacey and her brood. Bam.... Stacey head butts the bars to show her displeasure. Result....huge haematoma over her eye, which, over the course of two days swelled so much she could no longer close her eye. Pic. below is before things got really bad.

Stacey eye.jpg

Result?....blood, pus, and cornea that went very dry (after the pic) and threatened to ulcerate. So...discuss with vet....vet suggests aspirating the swelling. So, in with a needle and much watery blood later and Stacey has a normal looking eye. Until she does it again....

Hufflesheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well, i didn't have to tell you this, did I? It's also not just rams who do it.

Stacey (don't blame me, i didn't name her) is a Blue Faced Leicester ewe who had two lambs and is currently indoors as the weather is too cold out for her lambs. Stacey was bottle fed and is a bit of a spoilt brat, but very loveable.. The hapless ewe in the pen next to her had two lambs, one of which strayed too near to Stacey and her brood. Bam.... Stacey head butts the bars to show her displeasure. Result....huge haematoma over her eye, which, over the course of two days swelled so much she could no longer close her eye. Pic. below is before things got really bad.

View attachment 71783

Result?....blood, pus, and cornea that went very dry (after the pic) and threatened to ulcerate. So...discuss with vet....vet suggests aspirating the swelling. So, in with a needle and much watery blood later and Stacey has a normal looking eye. Until she does it again....

Oh no! My ewes love a scrap!! It's so aggravating!

Latest posts