head chute for cows?

Shelbycobra

Just born
Reaction score
I only have two cows. 5 month old angus and herford steers. They have halters on them but they are not dog gentle. Do folks out there have methods for restraing their cows? A squeeze chute is expensive.
Thanks
Renee:)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You can make a squeeze chute. Here is a temp one we used to dehorn.
5_chute2.jpg

We had gotten the headgate out of a bunch of stuff someone was cleaning out but, you could make a wooden frame with a 2x that you can swing over and put a pin in behind it to lock it instead. If you want it permanant you could use boards instead of the fence panels.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
does a cow ever kick and get her leg caught in the fence? We have a chute, but it is too large for the weanling sized calves. I would like to improvise with one like this, but don't want to maime anyone in the process. LOL. :hu

edited to add, I see it is Hog panels....I have plenty of those.....

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's actually the combo fence but, the hog will work. If they get a foot caught they usually just yank it right back out. The head gate is in permanant but, the rest is set up temp. when we need it. We had set up that time to dehorn the ones that DH had been to sick to help with so some were pretty big. I prefer to do them as little calves when horns are first found.