Head shake

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
These are my girls Mazy and BoPeep. A few days ago the both started shaking their head.
Even though there is no crust in the ears I suspect mites.
I was told I cut squirt liquid Ivermectin into the ears to kill the mites.
Is this true and has anyone ever used it?

Attachments

• 20220114_163332.jpg
    20220114_163332.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 89

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pretty girls! I have not used Ivermectin in the ears... so I can't answer your question. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you out.

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
These are my girls Mazy and BoPeep. A few days ago the both started shaking their head.
Even though there is no crust in the ears I suspect mites.
I was told I cut squirt liquid Ivermectin into the ears to kill the mites.
Is this true and has anyone ever used it?
Hi!
”Invermectin in the ears” didn’t sound quite right to me (everybody knows you use the apple flavored for enemas if you get COVID-19..) [he says TONGUE IN CHEEK….PLEASE DON’T ANYONE TRY] so I did some research.
there is an Ivermectin topical ointment specifically for ear mites! Don’t use your worming liquid! Here’s the link, you can read up on it…it only takes 3 minutes.
best of luck! It says to get it from your vet but im betting there is an open source…I’ll let you know if I find it.

Update: After looking high and low for a public source for the Invermectin ear mite ointment I have discovered there is a whole secondary market of scammers ready to take huge sums of money for fake Invermectin product!
BUT The ointment is real….but you may have to source it from your vet. I found an alternative for ear mites which I have made at home and used…in a commercial product on Amazon

Mite-B-Gone 10% Sulfur Cream​

This seems to use the same ingredients that I mixed and used last time our boys had the head shakes!

Last edited:

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can give ivermectin injected for mites.

You can also give the pour on for cattle.

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

Quite right and the injectable is VERY effective…and easier than getting ‘Obaaahma’ or ‘Lady Baah Baha’i to stand there and let you root around their ears!

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi!
”Invermectin in the ears” didn’t sound quite right to me (everybody knows you use the apple flavored for enemas if you get COVID-19..) [he says TONGUE IN CHEEK….PLEASE DON’T ANYONE TRY] so I did some research.
there is an Ivermectin topical ointment specifically for ear mites! Don’t use your worming liquid! Here’s the link, you can read up on it…it only takes 3 minutes.
best of luck! It says to get it from your vet but im betting there is an open source…I’ll let you know if I find it.

Update: After looking high and low for a public source for the Invermectin ear mite ointment I have discovered there is a whole secondary market of scammers ready to take huge sums of money for fake Invermectin product!
BUT The ointment is real….but you may have to source it from your vet. I found an alternative for ear mites which I have made at home and used…in a commercial product on Amazon

Mite-B-Gone 10% Sulfur Cream​

This seems to use the same ingredients that I mixed and used last time our boys had the head shakes!
Thank you, I'm glad I don't listen to just anyone. It's nice to be able to get help from a group of people that have experience with goats.

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

I have the liquid Ivermectin that I use for my dog, for heartworm. I've also used it for my girls on worms. I've only ever given it orally. They are not happy about being given anything. I do need to invest in a drench gun. :D =D

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Pretty girls! I have not used Ivermectin in the ears... so I can't answer your question. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you out.
Thank you, they are sweet. Mazy is a little, ok, allot pushy. She was so sick when I got her she almost didn't make it. Since she had so much attention she is very bad. And she bites too. I think it's because before I got her she was a bottle baby.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have the liquid Ivermectin that I use for my dog, for heartworm. I've also used it for my girls on worms. I've only ever given it orally. They are not happy about being given anything. I do need to invest in a drench gun. :D =D

You probably have the injectable ivermectin that you are giving orally. We do the same for our dogs and goats. But, for mites we have given as an injection in the past.

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You probably have the injectable ivermectin that you are giving orally. We do the same for our dogs and goats. But, for mites we have given as an injection in the past.
I went and ordered VertRx just to be safe. I didn't see any crust in ears but since they don't stand very still i didn't see way down. 😊