Head stuck in fence!!

Vonny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She would be finding a one way ticket to be someone else's trouble...
There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that they took a lend of us!! And the thing that upsets me most is that they knew that we were newbies just wanting to love the goats and have our grandkids come to stay and enjoy our zoo! We can't let the grandies anywhere near her! I would love to get rid of her but I've never given up on an animal before and I couldn't put my hand on my heart in saying she was suitable for anyone to buy.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
No offense please.... but the "feel that you can't give up on her" is just YOUR problem. If she is not what you want, quit thinking with your feelings and be practical. Like @Mini Horses said, give her to someone with a different fence or find an auction/sale and just SEND HER. If your grandkids get hurt, it will be something you will regret.

My son and I kept many cows in the beginning to increase our herd, ones that you had to watch or be careful around; or were next to impossible to get caught in the catch pens.... and we were both experienced cattle people. Now, if they are "stupid" they go to the stockyard sale and can be stupid somewhere else.
And they teach younger ones to follow them.... NOPE, THEY GET SHIPPED.....
They have their own personalities... some can be gotten around and you can get them to work for you and with you. Some cannot, and spending stressful aggravating time when they are not part of an essential breeding program or something like that is just a WASTE of your time and adds to your lack of enjoyment of them overall.

Vonny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No offense please.... but the "feel that you can't give up on her" is just YOUR problem. If she is not what you want, quit thinking with your feelings and be practical. Like @Mini Horses said, give her to someone with a different fence or find an auction/sale and just SEND HER. If your grandkids get hurt, it will be something you will regret.

My son and I kept many cows in the beginning to increase our herd, ones that you had to watch or be careful around; or were next to impossible to get caught in the catch pens.... and we were both experienced cattle people. Now, if they are "stupid" they go to the stockyard sale and can be stupid somewhere else.
And they teach younger ones to follow them.... NOPE, THEY GET SHIPPED.....
They have their own personalities... some can be gotten around and you can get them to work for you and with you. Some cannot, and spending stressful aggravating time when they are not part of an essential breeding program or something like that is just a WASTE of your time and adds to your lack of enjoyment of them overall.
Really good points and thank you! I totally ‘get’ what you are saying! A hard lesson for a newbie but it makes perfect sense!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I backed up and reread the posts. Can't let grandkids near her? SELL her. Why keep an animal that is such a bucket of trouble, AND not safe with the grandkids? Absolutely not.

I raise sheep. I had a mean ram, his name got changed to Ramburger and he was the star of many meals. I even changed breeds, no more meanies for me. We drove 1400 miles round trip to buy a ram I knew was a sweetheart, 4 years ago, and he has never disappointed me. As a toddler, my youngest could hug him, hang on him and he was and is the BEST.

What those people did to you is wrong. Just plain wrong. Take her to an auction and get rid of her. She is obviously set in her ways, you are not going to train her out of it, nor are you going to "save" her from herself. Or take her to slaughter and have some goat burger, it is very good. Free meat! She is keeping you from enjoying your farm and keeping the grandkids from enjoying it with you. I will not keep a mean, fractious animal on my farm.

Vonny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I backed up and reread the posts. Can't let grandkids near her? SELL her. Why keep an animal that is such a bucket of trouble, AND not safe with the grandkids? Absolutely not.

I raise sheep. I had a mean ram, his name got changed to Ramburger and he was the star of many meals. I even changed breeds, no more meanies for me. We drove 1400 miles round trip to buy a ram I knew was a sweetheart, 4 years ago, and he has never disappointed me. As a toddler, my youngest could hug him, hang on him and he was and is the BEST.

What those people did to you is wrong. Just plain wrong. Take her to an auction and get rid of her. She is obviously set in her ways, you are not going to train her out of it, nor are you going to "save" her from herself. Or take her to slaughter and have some goat burger, it is very good. Free meat! She is keeping you from enjoying your farm and keeping the grandkids from enjoying it with you. I will not keep a mean, fractious animal on my farm.
I want to see your new Ram! My Boof is also a total sweetheart (dorper x damara)!

Fran is leaving tomorrow!!! I’ve convinced the original owners to take her back!!

The photos are my Boof and his lady lamb!

1DBC89A2-9F9C-49AB-9469-0BBA21EDC6FE.jpeg
68ED5402-53E3-4A39-A5FE-0D0DA248584F.jpeg

Vonny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Fran gets her head stuck in the fence constantly!! All our fencing is new and we can’t afford to supplement with electric fencing or chicken wire .. we have tried removing all vegetation within reach on the other side of the fence but she just keeps doing it! We sometimes have to get her head out of the fence a dozen times a day!! Yesterday we tried to attach poly pipe across under her horns but she had it off within the hour!! Help!! Her previous owners shaved her horns so they are just the right size to squeeze through the fence with some effort on her part but impossible for her to get herself out!!
Thank you all for giving me sage advice and the courage to do the right thing! Fran is leaving tomorrow! 😘

Latest posts