Head tilt in rabbit - how to know if it is an ear infection?

CloverHollow05

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi! I have a holland lop with a head tilt. We did a 28 day treatment of fenbendazole to treat E. Cunniculi but it has made no improvement. I was wondering how to tell if it is an ear infection? Both ears look clean and she doesn't itch but .I have seen her shake her head a couple of times, like there is a slight irritation. She is active, alert, eating, drinking, and pooping. She doesn't seem to have any issues with balance either. She runs around and only acts slightly irritated, lightly shaking her head every 10 minutes or so. She shares a room with 3 other rabbits (they have exercise pens separating them) who are perfectly fine, no head tilt, no head shaking.

Last edited:

CloverHollow05

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Add veg or mineral oil to smoother possible mites. Ivermectin could also be used.
If those don't work, vet trip for a scraping and better look at what's going on.
How do I do the veg oil? As in, how and where do I apply it? In the ear with a cotton swab or what? How often should I do it, and how by when should I see improvement? Thank you for your help! I don't have a rabbit vet, but my dog's vet has said that they are willing to see about a rabbit, depending on the situation. Any idea what I should expect to pay? With ear mites, should I be able to see anything?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
How do I do the veg oil? As in, how and where do I apply it? In the ear with a cotton swab or what? How often should I do it, and how by when should I see improvement? Thank you for your help! I don't have a rabbit vet, but my dog's vet has said that they are willing to see about a rabbit, depending on the situation. Any idea what I should expect to pay? With ear mites, should I be able to see anything?

Dribble in 1ml into the ear and massage or step back and let them shake it out.
Once should be enough, unless it's extreme mites, but that would be very obvious. Lots of visible crust, drooped ear, hot to the touch, rabbit very annoyed if you mess with it.
If the mites and crust is somewhat visible, it gets flung out real quick.
Early mites is a yellow stain.
They usually feel better in a few days. Oil smoothers the mites and sooths bites/scabs.

No idea. You can ask the secretary how much the visit and exam would be. Treatment or tests would be more and depends on what drug and weight of animal.

Inner ear infection would need drugs, but idk if they do a swab to test for infection or how they diagnose it.

CloverHollow05

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Great, thanks! I am not seeing any crusty scabs, any bites or anything. The only symptoms are the head tilt and slight shakes of the head. One of the other rabbits has started itching her ears more than usual, but still no scabs or sores? Is this usual?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great, thanks! I am not seeing any crusty scabs, any bites or anything. The only symptoms are the head tilt and slight shakes of the head. One of the other rabbits has started itching her ears more than usual, but still no scabs or sores? Is this usual?
Usual for early mites.
Bad cases of mites cause head tilt.
Can you shine a light in there and look? Maybe some hay is stuck in there?

Using the oil can't hurt anything.

CloverHollow05

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Usual for early mites.
Bad cases of mites cause head tilt.
Can you shine a light in there and look? Maybe some hay is stuck in there?

Using the oil can't hurt anything.
It is just so odd, she has the head tilt but nothing else that would indicate an issue, other than the minor irritation she shows with that ear. Today all 4 does are shaking their heads or scratching their ears. I did use a light but am not seeing anything. She is a lop eared rabbit, which makes it a little harder. I am cleaning all their cages today and did the veggie oil. I used to breed lops but am in the process of selling out. I am finally down to my two girls I am keeping as pets, a doe I am trying to sell, and a doe who has found a home but the buyer is having me hold her until mid February. Of course it is the one who has a buyer that has the head tilto_O They are in exercise pens on my shed floor, so I gave them loads of hay as bedding. I am reading that it the perfect setup for mites. I plan to put hay only in their litter boxes and hides and just throw pet towels down on the floor for them from now on.