Headbutting

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Seems a head-butting ram thread has been resurrected. Ram lambs of 3-4 months often do start to 'test their feet/horns'. Don't tolerate it....the gentle tap on the shin will become an almighty whack by the breeding season if you let it happen.

I keep Beulahs and Blue Faced Leicesters and their rams are often perfectly tame....but they have to have a Code Of Etiquette. You are head ram, you will not tolerate butting, even in play, and the ram must always be respectful of you.Set the boundaries when they are young, and don't let him stretch the rules.

There will always be rams of even the most placid breeds who are aggressive......I personally would never keep these, nor sell on for breeding, even if they were great examples of their type.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've had sheep now since December. I've got five katahdin/dorper ewes and a blackbelly ram. He was born in September and I got him from a petting zoo that were overrun with lambs.

He's always been a nice guy. I haven't been overly friendly with him because I didn't want to encourage any bad behaviors but I'm assuming because of the petting zoo upbringing he's always sought attention.

He's getting bigger now and his horns are... well they're not teeny tiny cute little nubs. He's been doing some headbutting with me lately and I have no idea who to curb this behavior. He walks up to me if I'm in the field with them and will stand next to me and just hang out, and then all of a sudden he will smack his horn into my knees. I'm not pleased. And he only does it to me, not my husband.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to stop this?
A young sheep, called a lamb, is easily scared, and older sheep strike without thinking to shield them from perceived danger. ... There are no known cases of black sheep attacking human beings.

Latest posts