Heads on a swivel you folks on Eastern Seaboard. Flo's coming.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like Flo will be a rainmaker for sure.

Florence is likely to make landfall on Thursday evening or Friday morning on the coast of North Carolina or South Carolina, and the odds continue to increase that Florence will stall on Friday and meander near or over the coast for several days, making the hurricane a devastating rainfall and coastal flooding threat...............
Florence: an extreme rainfall threat
Our top five models all agree that the trough of low pressure that was expected to turn the hurricane to the north late this week will be too weak to do so, as a strong ridge of high pressure builds over the Mid-Atlantic. This “blocking ridge” is likely to block Florence’s forward progress. Florence is expected to stall and wander near or over the coast for as many as four days, potentially becoming the “Harvey of the East Coast”, dumping prodigious amounts of rain. If a significant portion of the storm’s circulation remains over water, as occurred last year with Hurricane Harvey’s stall over Southeast Texas—or even if Florence were to move into the higher terrain of western North Carolina and then stall—the rain from Florence may break all-time state records for rainfall from a hurricane or tropical storm. North Carolina’s state rainfall record from a hurricane is 24.06” from Hurricane Floyd of 1999, South Carolina’s is 18.51” from Tropical Storm Jerry of 1995, and Virginia’s is 27.00” from Hurricane Camille of 1969. There is also the danger that Florence could make landfall, then emerge back over water and re-intensify, increasing its rainfall potential.

Dr. Jeff Masters

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
The historic benchmarks here used to be Hazel (1954) and Donna (1960). My first storm after moving here was Diana (1984). I'd seen a few storms after that, but what Hugo (1989) did to Charleston and Charlotte boggled the mind. If what they are saying about Florence plays out, it could be the damage of Hugo and the flooding of Floyd (1999)

(Incidentally, Floyd was a "double whammy." Our state had been saturated by the deteriorated mess that was Dennis only a couple of weeks before, so there had been no time to recover when Floyd came along. That official total of 24" doesn't begin to tell the story.)

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
One thing about storm benchmarks..the bar keeps getting moved upwards. Stork club and restaurant Galveston Tx.
(Harvey hadn't been added when this photo was taken,but it was not as high as Carla, or ike)
Can't judge it from the picture but the Carla mark is actually about 4' above the sidewalk surface.
920x920.jpg

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was just announced that the governor of South Carolina has issued a mandatory evacuation for the entire coast line. Everybody to be gone by noon tomorrow. I hope they took notes on Houston's hurricane Rita evacuation.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I remember being 13 and visiting Gulfport the summer after Camille. Blocks and blocks of concrete sidewalks and steps up to houses that were no longer there. Here and there a HUGE ship way up on shore, beached!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
There were dozens of rip-current rescues over the weekend locally; we have now officially had a State of Emergency declared. Some of the school buildings are used as evacuation shelters, so school will not be in session starting tomorrow.

It looks like she is going to come on shore right on top of you and head straight to me :(
We are 2 hours inland and WRAL (Raleigh) says we are looking at an 80% chance of tropical storm winds and 15 inches of rain.
Gosh I hope not.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Strongest (and largest) wind field will be to the North and to the Northwest of the eye's landfall point. Same for the storm surge. A lot of wind tho, can be dissipated by hilly terrain and even tall forests, if any are located in the path. All 5 models now indicate NC as the most likely landfall point, but NAM (North America Mesoscale) model is really interesting.
Moving WNW now, but a slight nudge to the NW is expected sometime late on Wed. Considering the northern 1/2 of the 'cone of uncertainty' would be about 100 miles, that would put landfall closer to Virginia if not on the Va coast. And, if current NAM is incorrect and GFS is correct, the storm will make a complete circle (clockwise path) off shore and then where it comes ashore at is anyone's guess but should give folks an extra day before landfall.

loop.jpg

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@OneFineAcre That is a better report than what I heard... not good but still better.
We saw that over us it was still expected to be Cat 2... and could go as far as Greensboro.
I am just hoping it lessens in strength and turns completely for all of our sake's.
Very scary for those on the coast especially.
:(:(:(
We will be moving a bunch of animals and securing them in stalls. Most of our fences are in the woods... so, if a tree comes down there go the goats and dogs.
We flood here frequently so we make put down some concrete block to use for "stepping" stones. UGH.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
@OneFineAcre That is a better report than what I heard... not good but still better.
We saw that over us it was still expected to be Cat 2... and could go as far as Greensboro.
I am just hoping it lessens in strength and turns completely for all of our sake's.
Very scary for those on the coast especially.
:(:(:(
We will be moving a bunch of animals and securing them in stalls. Most of our fences are in the woods... so, if a tree comes down there go the goats and dogs.
We flood here frequently so we make put down some concrete block to use for "stepping" stones. UGH.

It said 80 % chance of at least tropical storm winds
And they are calling that 4 plus days out
They said we could have 90 mph winds
I think it's going to be bad
Real bad

Last edited:

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The big danger the news is saying is that it will stall out and dump huge amounts of rain from coast to over a hundred miles inland. Even if where you are has always been safe from flooding this is record setting rainfall! Here in east Tennessee TVA has been drawing down lakes to be ready for rain expected.