healthy and unhealthy cow dung

new2cows

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new to owning a cow but have been around them as a youngster and know what cow flaps look like, since I've played frizbee with them with my farm cousins.:) Anyway, what I was wondering is, does anyone know where I can find a site that shows me what a healthy cow's manure looks like compared to an unhealthy cows. I have a miniature zebu cow that is pregnant and want to make sure that I am giving her the right food, forage and water to keep her healthy till she calves. So far I think he dung looks normal but I want to make sure. Can anyone help me with finding a web site where I can view stool specimens. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me. :D

Chris Stelzer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
new2cows said:
Hi everyone,
I am new to owning a cow but have been around them as a youngster and know what cow flaps look like, since I've played frizbee with them with my farm cousins.:) Anyway, what I was wondering is, does anyone know where I can find a site that shows me what a healthy cow's manure looks like compared to an unhealthy cows. I have a miniature zebu cow that is pregnant and want to make sure that I am giving her the right food, forage and water to keep her healthy till she calves. So far I think he dung looks normal but I want to make sure. Can anyone help me with finding a web site where I can view stool specimens. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me. :D
I like to take the easy approach. If the dung is the consistency of pumpkin pie, with an indentation in the middle (like a small pond), then that is healthy manure. If it's too lumpy that means too much fiber, this happens when you are feeding hay. If it's runny, then that means there is an excess of protein.