Heat Stroke?

SilverFox79

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My three week old litter as of today is down to just the one baby who has been doing great up until this morning. Yesterday was one of the hottest days on record in our area and I found him this morning minimaly responsive and pretty much flat out. I brought him inside and have been dribbling little amounts of corn syrup and water in his mouth and now he is taking it readily.
My question is, what happened here? Heat stroke is usually pretty fatal from what I have seen but he is bouncing (slowly) back. He should still be nursing so I didn't think he would dehydrate but could that be it? I plan on putting him back with his doe at dusk for his usual feeding and hope she takes care of him.

goat-heaven

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sounds like he had a heat stroke I have a dutch doe have one rushed her in the house put her in the sink in ran cold water on her got fluids in her in left her in the house in the ac but sadly she died the next day I use chicken runs for my rabbits I don't breed a lot in the summer just in the spring I sometimes when its very hot
I let my does in the chicken run pour cold water on them I do this until its cool outside one thing to watch out for when your rabbits start to drull or breath very fast sometimes sway their heads with drull they aren't far from a heatstroke I have lost litters to the heat so I would pour cold water not ice cold could make him go into shock make sure he drinks I usually put ice in their water bottles to keep it cold

goat-heaven

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sounds like he had a heat stroke I have a dutch doe have one rushed her in the house put her in the sink in ran cold water on her got fluids in her in left her in the house in the ac but sadly she died the next day I use chicken runs for my rabbits I don't breed a lot in the summer just in the spring I sometimes when its very hot
I let my does in the chicken run pour cold water on them I do this until its cool outside one thing to watch out for when your rabbits start to drull or breath very fast sometimes sway their heads with drull they aren't far from a heatstroke I have lost litters to the heat so I would pour cold water not ice cold could make him go into shock make sure he drinks I usually put ice in their water bottles to keep it cold

goat-heaven

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

Latest posts