Heifers with big bellies? Are they fat?

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wasn't too sure where to post this. We have 2 young heifers, about 7 months old, who we bought a few months ago--one's a Holstein and one's a Holstein/Shorthorn X. When we got them they were eating about 1/4 bale hay a day between them, plus a little grain for treats when we have visitors or we can to get them used to being touched on their teats. The Holstein had a big round belly when we adopted her, the woman told us from grain. Well, we have definitely not been giving much grain, a handful every couple of days. Now the Holstein/Shorthorn is starting to get a belly. This is not bloat, it looks more like pregnancy, though that's not really even possible because they weren't with a bull.

What's the cause of the fat bellies? Is the hay too rich? We're still at 1/4 of a bale and I know that's not enough for these girls, but they are so fat I can't imagine feeding them more! We are just starting to get fresh green grass in the pasture. Could they be feeding themselves on this?

Here's a photo of them:
8007_girls.jpg

I'll try to get some better pictures of their bellies so you can see just how huge they are.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
They don't look fat, just quite hairy, normal for this time of year. I concur with sheepgirl, could be that they're wormy.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Animals require a certain amount of nourishment in order to grow and maintain their bodies. 1/4 bale of hay and no grain would lead me to believe that these animals are not receiving enough for their size. Grain will definitely NOT cause big bellies. Poor quality hay or forage will. Is it possible that they are consuming old, dry grass from years past in order to fill their rumens? If they were mine, I'd increase their grain to 1% of their body weight, and double the hay. I'll bet that they will look much better in a couple weeks. I'd also worm them immediately. Dairy cattle need more nutrition than beef cattle in order to maintain good condition. In my opinion, they are hairy because of a lack of adequate caloric intake. Good luck!

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
You all were absolutely right--we took a fecal into the vet today and they had worm eggs. Gave them the SafeGuard nummies. Their poo looks normal as usual. Not sure on the quality of this hay, but we're definitely up the rations. Thank you for the help and I'll let you know how they do.

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
I've a question: What kind of hay are they getting? For example, are they getting grass hay (like 100 to 95% grass hay) or are they getting legume-rich hay (hay that is at least 50% legume like alfalfa)? Maybe get a feed sample done on the hay, if it's not too much to ask, just to see what the protein content is in the hay is. As JHM mentioned, hay that is of poor quality will be detrimental to these heifers' health, especially those of dairy influence.

But be careful about the grain. I agree as well with increasing the ration to 1% of their body weight, but do so slowly, otherwise you will cause digestive upset like bloat. Right now the microflora in the heifers' rumens are more geared towards digesting fibre than starch. Introduce too much starch too quickly can cause bloating and/or acidosis. Also, depending on what kind of grain you give them, though grain does have a good amount of protein in it (which is what these heifers need to grow), it can be the limiting factor over other nutrients like carbohydrates (starch), phosphorus, calcium and other minerals. Here you may want to think about supplementing them with a protein supplement like soybean meal or canola meal instead.

But remember: do so only if they need it.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
I've a question: What kind of hay are they getting? For example, are they getting grass hay (like 100 to 95% grass hay) or are they getting legume-rich hay (hay that is at least 50% legume like alfalfa)? Maybe get a feed sample done on the hay, if it's not too much to ask, just to see what the protein content is in the hay is. As JHM mentioned, hay that is of poor quality will be detrimental to these heifers' health, especially those of dairy influence.

But be careful about the grain. I agree as well with increasing the ration to 1% of their body weight, but do so slowly, otherwise you will cause digestive upset like bloat. Right now the microflora in the heifers' rumens are more geared towards digesting fibre than starch. Introduce too much starch too quickly can cause bloating and/or acidosis. Also, depending on what kind of grain you give them, though grain does have a good amount of protein in it (which is what these heifers need to grow), it can be the limiting factor over other nutrients like carbohydrates (starch), phosphorus, calcium and other minerals. Here you may want to think about supplementing them with a protein supplement like soybean meal or canola meal instead.

But remember: do so only if they need it.
The hay is of moderate quality--not sure if we can get a test done on it. It's definitely mostly grass (orchard, timothy, few others--not sure if there's any fescue or how much is in it) with a tiny bit of alfalfa.

So the theory is that the poor quality hay may be making them more susceptible to worms?

I'm not sure how comfortable I am with supplementing the grain, but I understand that dairy animals usually need at least a little. We've been giving them a 12% protein molasses mix as a treat. I also have a 20% protein pellet. Should I build these into their diets at 1% their weight? Use something else?

Guess I can't figure if they need a protein supplement before I get the hay tested...

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
So the theory is that the poor quality hay may be making them more susceptible to worms?
Not necessarily. Poor quality hay makes them less thrifty--as in it will affect their growth, reproductive productivity (ability to breed on time, breed back or breed alone when it's time for them to conceive), rate of gain, etc. With grass hay, it can have protein, energy and other nutrients, but sometimes hay that looks nice and green and looks to be of moderate quality can be poorer quality when the feed tests come back. This can affect the health of cattle, making them get thinner than you want them to be and less productive in the long term, if not the short term.

Worms or internal parasites come about with exposure to an unbroken parasitic cycle and either not enough natural resistance built up to resist such worms--if not that, then lack of care to deworm these animals regularly (or when it's necessary).

At that age these heifers should be getting at least 14%--probably 16% for dairy youngsters like those two--protein per day. But yes, only if you're sure about feeding it. (Just a note: molasses is primarily energy or carbohydrate, it has a very small protein value to it. It's just there to make feed or fodder sweet enough that cattle will eat it)

Are you giving these heifers any mineral at all, or is it just the pasture, hay and protein treats/pellets that they're receiving?

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The way I understand the 'hay belly', is that when the hay quality is lower, they're eating more and it stretches out their tummy. (I'm not disagreeing with anything else that's been said, just putting it in simpler (to me!) terms!) I think the older folks used to raise their heifers on the poorer quality hay ("heifer hay") and save the good stuff for their milkers.