Hello All!

matty_60618

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My name is Matt. I live in Dousman WI with my wife and 2 teenage children. We recently decided to have Pygmy goats. We also decided to get 2 to start. Yoda and Brownie are 11 months old sisters. We got them in august and believe Brownie might be pregnant. I am here for your help and knowledge because I am very new to this and did not expect to be kidding. I am very excited and nervous. Thank you!

Attachments

• CD264B6A-78B2-4D7B-BD7B-15F88894E538.jpeg
    CD264B6A-78B2-4D7B-BD7B-15F88894E538.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 101

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

Your goats are precious. And please don't shoot the messenger but my guess is that they are more likely Nigerian Dwarfs. The coloring is wrong for pygmies - and there's no such thing as a blue-eyed pygmy goat. However - they are absolutely darling and I'm sure that doesn't change how you feel about them.

I saw your other thread and I'd say you might be expecting little ones. Udder development and puffy, poochie lady parts are a good indication that they may have had a rendevous, lol.

Good luck with them!

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do you have the basics on hand for babies? I feel like I say it a lot lol, but it never hurts to have a baby bag on hand. I assume you have good shelters? Keep towels on hand at all times. Iodine, sharp scissors, rope, small cup, lube(the livestock kind, not the tire kind🤣), flashlight, handless flashlight. It’s been a few years, hopefully someone else will list anything I forgot. Watch a ton of videos if you can, make sure your assistants aren’t squeemish, don’t over worry yourself. Make sure you have a “jug” available. Some goats want nothing more than to be left alone in peace and quiet with a “midwife” goat. Others don’t want another goat there. A jug is just a place where you can keep mother and baby separate from the other goat for a few days, or to keep them in one spot so she doesn’t have a baby in the worst possible location. Fence panels or even pallets work just fine as a jug, nothing fancy. I, personally, like to keep penicillin and basic pain meds on hand. But that’s up to you. Check what a goat can use first, before you even think about thinking you need it, and write your list down.
I put my basic stuff in a cooler, which doubled as a place to sit. Since then I now have a small tool box type thing, but that’s not baby specific stuff. Also, keep a little canned or powdered goat milk in the back of your pantry just in case. Good luck btw! And welcome!

matty_60618

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

Your goats are precious. And please don't shoot the messenger but my guess is that they are more likely Nigerian Dwarfs. The coloring is wrong for pygmies - and there's no such thing as a blue-eyed pygmy goat. However - they are absolutely darling and I'm sure that doesn't change how you feel about them.

I saw your other thread and I'd say you might be expecting little ones. Udder development and puffy, poochie lady parts are a good indication that they may have had a rendevous, lol.

Good luck with them!
That’s good to know. I wasn’t aware. We acquired them from a farm and didn’t really know much about them. The blue eyes are kind of weird I thought.

matty_60618

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do you have the basics on hand for babies? I feel like I say it a lot lol, but it never hurts to have a baby bag on hand. I assume you have good shelters? Keep towels on hand at all times. Iodine, sharp scissors, rope, small cup, lube(the livestock kind, not the tire kind🤣), flashlight, handless flashlight. It’s been a few years, hopefully someone else will list anything I forgot. Watch a ton of videos if you can, make sure your assistants aren’t squeemish, don’t over worry yourself. Make sure you have a “jug” available. Some goats want nothing more than to be left alone in peace and quiet with a “midwife” goat. Others don’t want another goat there. A jug is just a place where you can keep mother and baby separate from the other goat for a few days, or to keep them in one spot so she doesn’t have a baby in the worst possible location. Fence panels or even pallets work just fine as a jug, nothing fancy. I, personally, like to keep penicillin and basic pain meds on hand. But that’s up to you. Check what a goat can use first, before you even think about thinking you need it, and write your list down.
I put my basic stuff in a cooler, which doubled as a place to sit. Since then I now have a small tool box type thing, but that’s not baby specific stuff. Also, keep a little canned or powdered goat milk in the back of your pantry just in case. Good luck btw! And welcome!
Thank you! I will start getting that stuff together. I didn’t be even think of half the items you pointed out. I do have good shelters. But it is cold here. 20-30 degree temp and maybe 6-8 inches of snow on the ground.

Attachments

• 9B14545A-C784-4761-A1C7-5B7C78BE905E.jpeg
    9B14545A-C784-4761-A1C7-5B7C78BE905E.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 119

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you! I will start getting that stuff together. I didn’t be even think of half the items you pointed out. I do have good shelters. But it is cold here. 20-30 degree temp and maybe 6-8 inches of snow on the ground.
It looks like you have great shelter, and plenty of room for both of them. I kept dog jackets on my babies when it got really cold, just make sure they’re poofy and that they smell like mom.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi,
Cute girls! They look like they're wearing their own snowsuits. I'm late to the party but good luck with kidding.

I'd also make sure you've got the stuff for tube feeding and a baby bottle as well as whole milk in the house as a mom backup and a livestock vet's number if you find you need the first item.

matty_60618

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
New picture today. Her udder is filling up nicely. Still not sure if labor is imminent. I have tried feeling her ligaments but nit sure if I’m feeling the right thing.

Attachments

• BD74F244-270C-4202-A0A6-B64F52A04244.jpeg
    BD74F244-270C-4202-A0A6-B64F52A04244.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 78