Hello Beepeeple!

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just getting into bees, I've got two 5 frame nucs and two packages coming in the spring. A friend gave me his Lang setup and gear when he moved to Texas... so I started reading. Now it's going to be two Langs and two top bars. Top bars seem to me like the way to go, but this way we'll have a decent evaluation of the two types for ourselves - total bee newbies.

Wish me luck!
Glen

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
:frow Hey Glen! :welcome . . . Again!

You're speaking GREEK to me here. However your subject caught my eye, because we eventually want to start raising bees.

In your post you say you moved to Texas, but your name plate says you are in Central Virginia. So, did you used to live in Texas? We moved to Texas from South Central PA last June.:celebrate

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
No - no! The FRIEND moved to Texas! :weee He couldn't take his beekeeping gear with him, so he gave it to me since I have a 40 tree orchard coming on (parts of it in it's third year). He said all needed was some bees, since his package crapped out first thing last year. I said, wut -the bees don't come with it? He said get on a list for some bees in early winter, so that's when I started reading...
And I find out holy moly - bees are expensive! ...and beginners with one hive will likely lose it! Noooo! Come back bees! Okay I need TWO hives.. ummm, Langstroths and allllllll their associated gear are exspendsive too!:th This is nuts. :caf
So I keep reading.

Here we go! I can build my own Top Bar hives and the bees will just fly right in it! o_O Yay! Now we're talkin'!

So, long story short - I'm going to start FOUR hives, and that first stinking lb of honey is gonna set me back about 1K. :(

I like honey :drool

And I swell up like a toad when I get stung.:barnie

Pray for me... :fl

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
No - no! The FRIEND moved to Texas! :weee He couldn't take his beekeeping gear with him, so he gave it to me since I have a 40 tree orchard coming on (parts of it in it's third year). He said all needed was some bees, since his package crapped out first thing last year. I said, wut -the bees don't come with it? He said get on a list for some bees in early winter, so that's when I started reading...
And I find out holy moly - bees are expensive! ...and beginners with one hive will likely lose it! Noooo! Come back bees! Okay I need TWO hives.. ummm, Langstroths and allllllll their associated gear are exspendsive too!:th This is nuts. :caf
So I keep reading.

Here we go! I can build my own Top Bar hives and the bees will just fly right in it! o_O Yay! Now we're talkin'!

So, long story short - I'm going to start FOUR hives, and that first stinking lb of honey is gonna set me back about 1K. :(

I like honey :drool

And I swell up like a toad when I get stung.:barnie

Pray for me... :fl

That's funny! A $1000 jar of honey! You had BETTER like honey at that rate! And you are allergic to bee stings, to boot! :lol:

Okay, now I get it. Your FRIEND moved to TX! Gotcha! :thumbsup

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome!

Bees will absolutely help your orchard. My trees exploded with fruit this year from my bees. It will be interesting to read your comparisons between the Langsroth and the top bar hives. As for honey, I wouldn't expect any the first year.

I have 1 Langsroth hive and I did lose my bees the first winter from mites. I reinstalled the following spring, and my bees are now doing fantastic going into their 2nd winter. I got honey this year, which was a nice bonus. I may need to learn how to split mine into two hives, the hive was packed with bees on my last inspection - I don't need to lose them in the spring to a swarm!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So I'm not the only new-bee here it seems. Going to install 2 langstroth hives this spring. Just talked to the source I'm ordering them and the bees from. I'll be going over to visit and pre-pay here later this week. Now I have to start amassing all the other gear I'll need before they arrive this spring. Getting excited about the whole endevour!

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I'm not the only new-bee here it seems. Going to install 2 langstroth hives this spring. Just talked to the source I'm ordering them and the bees from. I'll be going over to visit and pre-pay here later this week. Now I have to start amassing all the other gear I'll need before they arrive this spring. Getting excited about the whole endevour!

This is awesome! Congrats on diving in.
What state are you in? Do you know your area's main nectar flow source? Are you starting with packages or nucs?

Soooo many questions!!! :woot

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greets Maggiesdad! Happy new year! VA is a beautiful state (commonwealth- which is the only BAD thing about it). I spent many years in the VA Beach area (retired-Navy). I'm in a state of amazement (most of the time) :bow but really; Colorado along the front range N/NE of Denver.

I'll be starting with packages. I was told they'll be coming out of Montana, but I sincerely doubt that as it will be pretty cold there still (April) to be breaking hives to create them. I believe they may spend the summer there, but doubt they are always there. I could be wrong... :idunnoit has been known to happen on occasion :hide... They are supposed to be Italian bees, so should be gentle.

I am surrounded by farm fields where I live that grow pumpkins/squashes, natural herbs, flowers, corn, melons, etc. There is also a large commercial greenhouse about 1/4 mile away as well as several tree nurseries, all within a 3 mile radius. I have no idea what the bees will be feasting on, but they should have plenty to choose from once everything starts. I do NOT know what all these places use as far as GMO, pesticides, fertilizers, etc. I'm gonna hope for the best. The largest farm around me does/did have a very old established apiary, so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

I also have a small vineyard and fruit trees on my property and will be putting in a veggie garden. Barring anything unexpected, I expect to have honey the end of my first season.

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds like you'll have a great set up!

Seems like packages around here are available 3-4 wks ahead of nucs, I guess that's because they're shook, with an added queen - instead of a proven queen on frames of capped brood. It will be interesting to see how far along my packages are in the top bars by the time I get the nucs to go into the Langs.