Hello everyone I’m Donna

Donna Davis

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My husband Tom and I have a little farm in Maryland. We currently tend to 4 children ages 9-33, 1 cat, 4 dogs (the Littles), 2 cows and a delightful old horse. We have a mated pair of vultures that were on our farm the day we bought it and return each spring to eventually hatch 2 babies! We haven’t quite figured out what we want to do to bring in money, so for now they are all just pets. I am so in love with each of these animals that I don’t know how I survived this long without them. I’ve always found the cold winters suck me down into the sofa…but no more!
IMG_6288.jpeg
IMG_6957.jpeg
IMG_4333.jpg
hatch 2 babies! We haven’t quite figured out what we want to do to bring in money, so for now they are all just pets. I am so in love with each of these animals that I don’t know how I survived this long without them. I’ve always found the cold winters suck me down into the sofa…but no more!

Attachments

• IMG_3751.jpeg
    IMG_3751.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3126.jpeg
    IMG_3126.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3087.jpeg
    IMG_3087.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3066.jpeg
    IMG_3066.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3724.jpeg
    IMG_3724.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 48

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome, I'm in VA. Used to have family in Glen Burnie, all passed on now...but MD isn't far. We just helped you with the cattle feeding questions👍. Farmerjan is also in VA

Donna Davis

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome, I'm in VA. Used to have family in Glen Burnie, all passed on now...but MD isn't far. We just helped you with the cattle feeding questions👍. Farmerjan is also in VA

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am going to be the fly in the ointment here... and the scrooge, mean old person...

Looks like a wonderful family, kudos to you.

Honestly, you need to seriously look at the pair of vultures and realize you are perpetuating a species that is not only considered a pest, but is very predatory. I know all the arguments about vultures being carrion eaters and all that. What you are showing in the picture are the black headed Mexican buzzards.. they are driving out the "good buzzard" that is the Turkey buzzard... a true carrion eater. These Mexican buzzards are not only carrion eaters, they are a predatory sub species of buzzards. They will attack and kill baby lambs, kids, and calves. They are much hated by nearly every cattleman around. Since they are in a protected class, there has had to be state action to allow us to get permits to shoot and kill them. You do not want to see what they have done to newly born calves laying wet as the momma gets up and tries to defend her baby from a whole group and how they will peck them from the anus and cause the calves to bleed to death... they have been known... yes documented... to attack a cow that is weak from giving birth at the hind end and cows have had to be destroyed.
Please do not look at this through "walt disney" all nature is wonderful eyes... they are an invasive species from Mexico and are becoming so numerous that they are now considered a true threat to the agriculture community.

Animals can give you such a sense of just good feelings... but they need to have a purpose in life also. Some cows have great personalities, we have several that are named and I know some of their little quirks. Don't love them to death with too much feed and such, they are designed to be grazers and eat roughage, their bodies are designed to convert grasses and hay into fuel to feed their bodies., Once they reach maturity, they do not need alot of extra.... making a cow too fat is like making a dog too fat... it is not good for them to be obese.
Jersey's in any of the "sizes" they have come up with, are a dairy animal... designed to give milk. They are not supposed to be round and carry alot of extra fat and weight....I studied your pictures and I do not think that the bull/steer is a purebred jersey. but since he is now a steer, it is of no real consequence.
The heifer/cow looks like a nice one.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
And, I want to say Welcome also... I am NOT trying to be the bad guy here... there is nothing wrong with enjoying your animals... just that farm animals are not supposed to be "just pets".... especially when you get in the size that cattle are... even the "mini cattle".... just know that there are things that are a part of farming that do not lend them to being like "lap dogs"..... and at the size they are, you can get hurt very easily and the animal might not ever intend to hurt you, it simply their size and bulk that can cause problems... fast turns, a playful "kick up their heels" and next thing you know you will be on the ground or something....

Do you have a garden? You will find so much satisfaction in getting out there in the spring and "getting some dirt therapy".... and producing some food for the table. Looks like a great group to try out farm fresh recipes on too!!!!

If you go to your name top right, click down to account details and down to location, it will help with answers sometimes, to questions, to have a general idea of where you are... As you can see on most avatars, we have members from all over and "fixes and suggestions" will vary according to the area you are in.

Welcome aboard to our community....

JosieAnn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My husband Tom and I have a little farm in Maryland. We currently tend to 4 children ages 9-33, 1 cat, 4 dogs (the Littles), 2 cows and a delightful old horse. We have a mated pair of vultures that were on our farm the day we bought it and return each spring to eventually hatch 2 babies! We haven’t quite figured out what we want to do to bring in money, so for now they are all just pets. I am so in love with each of these animals that I don’t know how I survived this long without them. I’ve always found the cold winters suck me down into the sofa…but no more!View attachment 105113View attachment 105112View attachment 105118hatch 2 babies! We haven’t quite figured out what we want to do to bring in money, so for now they are all just pets. I am so in love with each of these animals that I don’t know how I survived this long without them. I’ve always found the cold winters suck me down into the sofa…but no more!
Hi Donna. I'm' new too and in a western northers state, cold and windy new snow last night! Great to meet you, excellant group, enjoy :)

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from So Cal.
Ditto what @farmerjan said. Enjoy your livestock - cute cow - but always have eyes in the back of your head. I've got sheep and chickens -- chickens won't hurt me (no roosters here), but the sheep could. I'm careful with what I do. Key word - careful. not fearful. I work with my sheep daily. I do things differently than most, that puts me, one or two of my dogs in contact with them for a couple/few hours a day. Some have names :) , but if any one of them become a "problem" or risk they are off to market. That includes ewes and the ram. These sheep will trample through me to get into the barn at night to be put up and have their alfalfa. I set things up, use one or two dogs to hold the off while I open their door and then dogs and I step aside. Just being smart about things.
I don't know about the vultures - though I've seen here in the group that those black vultures/buzzards are almost as bad as coyotes. We only have the turkey vultures here -- which is surprising (knock on wood) because I'm not far from Mexico.