Hello, everyone. I am in trouble again.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My Peanut lost all of her triplets. She is now having trouble herself. She is slow, losing weight, stumbling once in a while. She fell over a tree root today and could not raise herself up. I rolled her over and held her until she could get up. Yesterday, I have her 1 ml high level vit b complex, probiotics, and some Jumpstart plus. Today I gave her 2 ml b complex and some Jumpstart plus. I have no vet close that does goats. They don't even carry thiamine. Don't do housecalls unless you have lots of cattle and money. I have to try to get supplies through the mail. Most I can't get due to no rx. I don't want to lose her. Last February she went blind for 1 week. I babied her for 2 weeks until she recovered. She gave birth Oct 23. And lost her first triplet at 2 weeks, her second at 2 months and the last at 2 1/2 months. She did not have an problems until the last week. Just been getting slower.
@Goat Whisperer @frustratedearthmother @Nifty @Southern by choice @B&B Happy goats @OneFineAcre @animalmom @babsbag @Pearce Pastures @RollingAcres @farmerjan @Wehner Homestead @Sweet horizon Nigerians see
what do you think?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you try to feed her some molasses and some sweet feed mixed in with corn..that usually gets their appetite going. Then introduce grain? Warm molasses water. Do you think she could need the Calciumgluconate? It could be milk fever? I’m just throwing out suggestions that I was getting myself prepared for...if she hsd problems before the birth, could it have been toxemia?this might be a helpful link....scroll down..it lists how to treat toxemia after kidding..if you think that’s what she might have...she you said she acted funny before..it also lists symptoms of how goats act while they are pregnant with toxemia. https://fiascofarm.com/goats/ketosis.htm. I’m hoping any of this might help??

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You're saying she aborted these at separate times?

Yep, could be toxemia, progressing to other issues. Does she get vit/min mix? I'm with others...power punch, warm molases, add some vit/min to water and syringe it. You can get high content Vit B at most TSC....when was she last dewormed? Any fever? She may be going septic if the kids were dead very long before expulsion. May need antibiotics.

How is she doing?

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
She says that she gave birth on Oct 23 so I doubt toxemia. Losing all the babies I would guess coccidia, ecoli, or parasites.

D and L Meadows

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would test her for CAE and Johnes. What minerals do you feed?
Did you ever check the kids for coccidia?
For right now, I'd put her on Excenel and dexamethazone and deworm her with Valbazen at 1cc/10 lbs and ivermectin 1cc/110 lbs depending if your area is resistant to ivermectin or not. And keep doing the vit. B etc like you have been. You could try doing a high dose of the vit B complex. It's water based so you have to give a huge amount before you over dose. We usually give 3cc for a Nigerian 2x per day.
Is she eating or drinking anything?
Hope she pulls through!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good advice from D and L Meadows, but I think she said she doesn't have access to prescription meds … :( I believe Excenel and Dex both require a prescription.

Have you taken her temp?

D and L Meadows

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Didn't see that. Yes they do require prescription. How frustrating!

You could at least start her on bio-mycin. That would be better than nothing, TSC carries it I think.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Can you try to feed her some molasses and some sweet feed mixed in with corn..that usually gets their appetite going. Then introduce grain? Warm molasses water. Do you think she could need the Calciumgluconate? It could be milk fever? I’m just throwing out suggestions that I was getting myself prepared for...if she hsd problems before the birth, could it have been toxemia?this might be a helpful link....scroll down..it lists how to treat toxemia after kidding..if you think that’s what she might have...she you said she acted funny before..it also lists symptoms of how goats act while they are pregnant with toxemia. https://fiascofarm.com/goats/ketosis.htm. I’m hoping any of this might help??
She was mostly blind Feb 2019. She didn't have any more problems until last week. Her last triplet died at 2 1/2 months old. She was already weaning him. She has always been a little slow (in a disabled way). Until she gave birth she was my fattest goat. I read somewhere last month that molasses containing feed was bad for goats. I stopped feeding them sweet feed. I tried hay from a new farm this year. It is much greener than the Bermuda I have been using. Doesn't smell so dusty. They eat it like crazy.