Hello from Alabama

mygoldendoe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a mom/house wife from northeast region of Alabama. Two days ago we bought 4 rabbits from the small livestock section of local market stand. We needed to supplement for the deer we haven't been able to hunt/harvest so we thought this would be a good start before getting some Muscovy ducks in summer. I haven't ever wanted to be around rabbits since I was bit by someones pet when I was younger but we need the meat. Yes i am terrified everytime I put my hand in the hutch to care for them but I do it...they stay in a community hutch temporarily until their separated homes are made this weekend. We were not told their breed, and I'm finding out the sexes we were told on individuals were wrong lol. I'm excited to join community to expand my research

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH! We have a really decent group of active Rabbiteers here! Everything from pets to meat rabbits to show bunnies :D I'm not presently included in any of those groups but where animals are concerned (like with most of us), that is always subject to change :cool: Sorry you haven't been able to kill a deer yet. I love venison and it used to be the prime source of meat for the family when I was raising my kids. I always preferred mule deer to white tail, but love em both :drool If you're keeping mixed gender bunnies together, you might have a few more a month from now, even after they've been separated. Anyway, there's a wealth of info on the various threads, please make yourself at home and browse around. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post them! Generally you'll have a response within 24 hours. There's also an "emergencies" area if it's really an emergency. Thanks for joining us! Glad you're here :clap

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome neighbor...from Mississippi here....do have a daughter over in Gadsden...and kin in Huntsville....no Rabbits just goats, chickens, and ducks....but like Latestarter said there are some really Great rabbit people here...so, hope ya enjoy being in the 'Herd' and be sure to checkout the Rabbit section...it is Full of info....:welcome :frow

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome

What breed of rabbits are they?

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! Congrats on your rabbits, we'd love to see pics if you get a chance to take some.

mygoldendoe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you all, for the warm welcome! I'm not sure of their breed. After being bit as a child I never cared to learn anything more about them enough to distinguish them..hoping to change all that .I have a reddish tan that has some dark brown mixed in on its butt end, a grey and light tan patchy, a dark blue grey and light grey..

Attachments

• IMG_20161129_101828683_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20161129_101828683_HDR.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20161127_141256896.jpg
    IMG_20161127_141256896.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 59

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!!! Rabbits are a lot of fun, but they do bite sometimes. My first pet bunny, Panda, bit me twice in the hand and broke the skin. Rabbit bites do not often get infected, and most of them barely hurt at all. More often, you get bunny kisses instead of bites! To calm one down if it is being aggressive, try petting the rabbit from the top of the head down to the rump. It can calm even the worst rabbits down. To avoid bites, dont make very quick movements with your hand inside the rabbit's cage, dont use your hands to separate a fight, and be sure to handle the rabbit correctly. I dont know what breed your rabbits are, but they are beautiful!! Good luck!

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from central Alabama!! Jefferson county. If a rabbit is being pushy I always place my hand on top of her head between her ears and hold it there until she calms down. Remember that you are a lot bigger than they are ;) they're not mean by nature. In fact, they are very social and bond with their owners. I have 6 does and 3 (hopefully down to 2 soon) bucks and every one of them has their own personality and quirks. I'm sorry you were bit, it happens sometimes. Especially if they're frightened
I have a bunny journal if you would like to join in