Hello from Alaska and BYC

wingedshadowwolf

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I found this site through one of it's sister sites, Backyard chickens! I currently have chickens, ducks and quails.

I am planning to get either goats or mini cows in the future. My family had goats when I was growing up, so I know and like goats. However I also really like cow milk, but with 5 acres full size cows may be a bit much. I joined this site so that when I do have the money to take the plunge I will have resources to help guide me!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH :frow Many here came from there (BYC) and are still over there. There's a wealth of information available in the various threads. We have a really active Goat & sheep community, and the cow group seems to be growing at a rapid rate as well. :D I'm sure you'll find some folks here to chat with and all our members are great about offering help/knowledge and support when another member needs it. Browse around and make yourself at home. Oh, just so folks won't have to ask, even though this thread is titled hello from Alaska in future posts folks won't know where you're from so it helps if you put it in your profile. Many times the answers to questions depend a whole lot on location. Glad you joined up!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from a other Alaskan:weee

We moved here 11 weeks ago from oregon. We have goats and a dog our goats are still in oregon and our dog is with us. We hope next summer to bring our goats up to alaska. Were are living in Seward.

What breed of goats would you get? We have one american alpine doe, lamancha nubian nigerian dwarf mix doe, mini nubian weather, and a oberhasli buck.

I hope you enjoy it here.

WSW you are the first alaskan I have seen join since I have been on this sight:woot:woot

wingedshadowwolf

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome from a other Alaskan:weee

We moved here 11 weeks ago from oregon. We have goats and a dog our goats are still in oregon and our dog is with us. We hope next summer to bring our goats up to alaska. Were are living in Seward.

What breed of goats would you get? We have one american alpine doe, lamancha nubian nigerian dwarf mix doe, mini nubian weather, and a oberhasli buck.

I hope you enjoy it here.

WSW you are the first alaskan I have seen join since I have been on this sight:woot:woot

Sounds like you have quite a fun herd! I'm not really picky on the breed at the moment. I figured when I was ready I'd search the local ads for goats and talk to the people I know. Since it's just me and my brother at the house, high production is not a priority. Although cheesemaking would use up a lot of it. Right now my Mom has a few goats, but I don't think she's been milking them. If I had an area at my place I'd take care of them for her. I can't remember what breed they are, I know she bought them from out of state and had them shipped here. She also has a (I think) Nigerian dwarf buck too.

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nd are nice easy Milkers if you aren't looking for a lot of milk. We almost started with NDs but as we started to visit farms realized they were not the goat for us.

Last edited:

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey, welcome to BYH! I found this site through BYC too. I also have chickens, ducks, and quail. And turkeys. I have turkeys too.

Great to have you here!

P.S. Just incase nobody mentioned it, We all love pictures around here so if you've got time we'd love to see some of your animals. Even if it's not a "herd" animal. I've got mostly birds too. :)

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from Arkansas. I too belong to BYC and to sufficientself, another sister site. I mostly go to sufficientself.com since I don't really have anything but chickens right now. I will probably get rabbits and hopefully pigs in a couple of months. I want to up my meat producing capabilities.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! 5 acres is a nice size for some goats, good luck with your plans!

Latest posts