Hello from Arlington, TX

yippee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello. I am new here and just wanted to introduce myself, so I can start getting to know the community.

I currently have dogs, a cat, fish, lizards and a garden. However, I am looking to add some chickens and rabbits beside my garden. I will probably add the rabbits first. I've been trying to do done research, but still have many of questions to ask.

I look forward to growing into a part of this great community you all have built here.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to BYH, @yippee! :welcome From East Texas (near Sulphur Springs) :D

You have come to the right place, we have a great forum on rabbits. Go to the forum tab, at the top of the page. Scroll down the forum lists and there is a section devoted to just rabbits. I think it is the 3rd one down. We have quite a few great rabbit people here. I know that there are more than come to mind, off this feable brain, but you might start by finding these members: @goatgurl, @Pastor Dave, @Baymule, @animalmom

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi and welcome, I am right down the interstate from you, in Lindale. Glad to have you here! Raising rabbits is fun and rewarding. Will you be raising them for meat or as pets? In our heat, the best way to house them in a barn with one side open and another side open at the bottom with STRONG wire across the open side, with a door for entry and covering the open bottom too. That keeps out dogs and other predators. Use hanging wire cages, they are easy to keep clean. You could even use the wall of a garage for one of the sides. If that is not feasible, then wood hutches in a shady spot are also a good way to keep them.

There are as many ways to build a chicken coop as there are chickens! You have to figure out what works for you. Please don't get those "cute" put together coops that will hold maybe 3 chickens. #1, they aren't well made. #2 chicken math will kick in and you WILL get MORE chickens! LOL The best coop is one tall enough and big enough for you to walk in without banging your head.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad you found us and tickled pink to have you here. I'm southwest-ish from you in Erath County. Looking forward to your questions and comments regarding rabbits. We have Californians and the does are due in about 8-10 days.

Regarding rabbits in Texas: Sun is not your friend. Heat is not your friend. Shade is your best friend.

I think you will like rabbits. They are quiet, their poop is ready to go into the garden, (it is not "hot" like chicken poop) and can be quite friendly. Nothing wrong with chickens, love my chickens.

yippee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the wonderful tips so far. I knew when I came across this forum that I had found the right place to be, and y'all have already proven that to be right again and again. I can tell this is going to be an awesome community to be a part of.

I am mostly looking for pets at this stage, I can always reassess later if my wants or needs change. I was considering going with standard Rex rabbits, but I'm not sure if that is a good choice to be outdoors in this area year round. I'm really up for suggestions of what breeds might be good options for me in this area. Are meat rabbits generally good pets, or do they mostly just serve their purpose?

I do have an area in the yard where the wood privacy fence makes a "L". I could put the barn in that corner with 2 of the closed sides in that corner. Im guessing the open side should be faced in a direction that doesn't get any direct sunlight? What size wire cages should I use? Do they need time outside of the cages or are they okay in there all day?

As far as chickens I definitely will be building my own coop and already have a few ideas in mind. I am definitely still reading up on all that as well, to figure out all the fine details.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Use rabbit wire NOT hardware cloth. Hardware cloth has rough nubs where the wire crosses and can cause sore hocks. 1"x1/2" for the bottom and 1"x2" for the sides and top. The cage should be 2' deep so you can reach the back and 3' long with a door in the middle. The 1"x1/2" bottom wire should extend up all sides for 2". This is because if you decide to breed, sometimes does will drag a baby out on the wire when she hops out of the nest (those babies hang on the teat). Height of the cages should be no less that 2' high, 2 1/2' to 3' is better, especially if you are going to breed. Does like to rest on top of the nest boxes if you use a closed box. A table in the rabbit barn is an asset. Put a scrap of carpet on it for their footing, then you can groom them, especially when they are blowing their coat. Wet your hands and rub back and forth, the loose hair will stick to your hands. Rub hands together to dislodge fur and repeat. if they get ear mites, a few drops of mineral oil in each ear will kill the mites. I used to treat every rabbit once a month for ear mites.

I would get a good meat breed, but that's me. I raised for show and meat. Show the best, eat the rest. LOL

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was thinking about you saying that you are looking at rabbits as a pet right now... You can certainly do one or two cages inside your house with minimal fuss.

I have an acquaintance that used puppy piddle pads under the cages and just rolled and tossed the pads once a day... no urine no smell. If the buns are pets they would get more loving put on them if they were in the house. Heck I knew a woman who had a Lop as a pet and she would let it hop around her apartment when she was home. Seemed that rabbits won't piddle outside their area and since the poop is hard it is easy to vacuum up with no mess.

Love on your rabbits. The more you touch and interact with them the calmer and more responsive they will be. Mine are technically livestock but my Vet calls them petstock because they come to the front of their cages to greet me (and get treats and scratches).

Sorry we jumped to the conclusion you were doing rabbits as livestock (for meat). I would not want to put you off rabbits. You don't have to put them in the back yard.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do have an area in the yard where the wood privacy fence makes a "L". I could put the barn in that corner with 2 of the closed sides in that corner.
Do be aware, that many areas and municipalities have setback regulations/laws/restrictions regarding how close to a property line you may erect an out building. All it takes is a disgruntled neighbor or an overly ambitious code enforcement officer or appraisal officer to result in getting a nastygram and having to move or dismantle your barn. Inquire discreetly if you don't want to draw attention or if you are prone to "It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission" line of reasoning.