Hello from Duvall Washington

WildTurkey

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello, in 2016 we started our homestead in western Washington about 30 min East of Seattle and not regretted a single moment. We started setting up a garden which grew exponentially overtime, last year I was able to triple our harvest. Next to the garden we started with 8 laying chicks, half of the flock is still alive the other half ended up in the stockpot,however the flock has grown to 16+ birds. The year after we added turkeys, then ducks and meat rabbits, last year Nigerian Dwarf Goats for milk and this year we added 2 Katadihn whether lambs for meat as well. Not totally sure if this site is only for farm pet animals, because we do have ours for self-sustainability and definitely raise a large part of our own meat.
I am here because I'd like to learn more about sheep herding and of course expand my knowledge about the goats, there is ALWAYS something new to learn :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Texas. While I have my soft spot for certain animals, I don't raise my sheep to be pets. We eat lamb, sell lamb and take lambs to auction. That said, my breeders become pets, but that won't keep me from selling some to replace with better stock.

We have a very realistic outlook on our animals here. I think you will fit in just fine.

GoateeMcfee

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello, in 2016 we started our homestead in western Washington about 30 min East of Seattle and not regretted a single moment. We started setting up a garden which grew exponentially overtime, last year I was able to triple our harvest. Next to the garden we started with 8 laying chicks, half of the flock is still alive the other half ended up in the stockpot,however the flock has grown to 16+ birds. The year after we added turkeys, then ducks and meat rabbits, last year Nigerian Dwarf Goats for milk and this year we added 2 Katadihn whether lambs for meat as well. Not totally sure if this site is only for farm pet animals, because we do have ours for self-sustainability and definitely raise a large part of our own meat.
I am here because I'd like to learn more about sheep herding and of course expand my knowledge about the goats, there is ALWAYS something new to learn :)
Im down in Carnation! Just moved out here recently! Getting started with homesteading.

Curlyconservative

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi! I just signed up to this site (love Backyard Chickens forum) because I am currently obsessing about getting Nigerian Dwarf goats soon! You know how it is - you first have to go through the obsession and $$ expenditures to get them set up... then the glorious moment of bringing them home. We live up North of you in the Kayak Point/Stanwood area! Your story sounds a lot like ours. How do you like the goat milk? Do you guys drink it? I'm interested to know if Nigerian Dwarf goats can be considered dual-purpose (milk and meat).

Curlyconservative

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Howdy, howdy!!

I think most of the people on here are livestock owners... so, eat stuff that they raise.

From what I understand, your area of the world is impressively fertile. But, don't you grow foot long slugs? :lol:
Oh yes - DISGUSTING... some places are worse than others. There is an actual slug called a Banana Slug...you can imagine.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Curlyconservative welcome to the forum. We have a very active goat forum. Why don’t you mosey on over there and ask what breeds are best for milk and meat? I’m not a goalie, we have sheep, so no help to you. But I do know that some people keep bigger goat breeds and breed dairy does to meat type bucks so the offspring will have more meat on them for slaughter.

Latest posts