Hello from far northern California

Questing Ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! Have you offered baking soda to your goat? I have sheep and when I turn them out on new spring grass, I limit their time to 1, then 2 hours, increasing their time slowly. I put baking soda out for them. If any do bloat I drench with mineral oil and walk them for up to hours at a time, until they fart and poop. If they lay down, I know they are still bloated and I drench and walk some more. Hope your goat is ok!
Thank you for the advice. It was read in several places as well. So I emptied out a supplement capsule and refilled it with baking soda. Within hours he was up and about. His large extended side had returned to normal. His appetite isn't back yet but he welcomed a banana when offered. Today he's with the herd but not eating like normal. I'll keep you posted.

QR

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi there from NW PA! I have goats too! 11! Two of my moms just kidded last week! I’m glad to hear your guy is doing better....glad the baking soda helped. Mine love bananas too. :). We have 3 dogs, but no cats...lots of chickens and pot belly pigs!! They are so much fun!! Can’t wait to hear more about your farm and your animals! You’ll love it here on BYH, everyone is sooo nice! Welcome!! :)

Questing Ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi there from NW PA! I have goats too! 11! Two of my moms just kidded last week! I’m glad to hear your guy is doing better....glad the baking soda helped. Mine love bananas too. :). We have 3 dogs, but no cats...lots of chickens and pot belly pigs!! They are so much fun!! Can’t wait to hear more about your farm and your animals! You’ll love it here on BYH, everyone is sooo nice! Welcome!! :)
Thank you for the nice thoughts. We don't know much about raising pigs, how do you have your set up? (We don't even know where to get them locally. We live near Redding in northern California. )

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope your goat continues to improve. It might be a good idea to give the goats free choice baking soda for awhile if the grass is coming in. Lush spring growth can upset their tummies.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. It was read in several places as well. So I emptied out a supplement capsule and refilled it with baking soda. Within hours he was up and about. His large extended side had returned to normal. His appetite isn't back yet but he welcomed a banana when offered. Today he's with the herd but not eating like normal. I'll keep you posted.

QR
Welcome to the forums!! That is nice. Well. starting to eat bananas you say? I bet he is on the road of total recovery.. keep up the good work and you will have her stiving in no time. good luck!!