Hello from Floresville, TX. :)

Newgoatmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi! I am very new to any sort of herd animal and decided I need a good source of information. I used to spend a lot of time on backyard chickens so knew this was just the place to go.

I currently just have two precious little girl goats. Anabelle is about 5 months old and 3/4 Boer 1/4 Spanish. Eliza is about 7 months old and 3/4 Nubian and 1/4 Nigerian Dwarf. She is going to be my milk girl though I plan to try milking Anabelle, as well, and see how it goes. I had no clue how wonderful and addictive goats are. I want more! Lol These had neither been handled much when I got them and I am working toward building their trust. I am just getting them to where they will let me reach under and rub their bellies so they should be used to the idea by the time they are old enough to breed and milk.

A bit more about me, I am a single mom of 4 boys ages 19, 17, 15, and 6. We try to stretch our one acre to provide as much as possible with planting, chickens and ducks, and now the goats. I work nights so keep a pretty odd schedule and you never know when I will be on here reading and learning as I go along.

Thanks for reading! I can't wait to get to know the people here and learn from all the knowledgeable people on this site!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE Texas! Glad you decided to join us :D We had another member just join who is located fairly close to you... @LMK17 is located in San Antonio. There are some others that are over in the Houston area, though a little farther away, not quite as far as us up north here. Texas is a pretty big state. Always good to see another Texan join up :clap A single mom with 4 boys... That has to be a real handful :ep Quite an age spread as well. I was a single dad with 3 kids, so I can kinda identify. We have a realy great group of active goat folks here and if you browse around in the various goat threads, you'll get to "meet" quite few of them. Make yourself at home and if you have questions, just post them. Most of the time someone will be along to help in short order!

Newgoatmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the warm welcome. :) I had looked a bit and noticed a few Texans. I can't claim to be a 'real' Texan but have lived here long enough I can trick most people. :D Yes, it can get interesting with all these boys. :barnie Thankfully they are terrific kids, I just feel very outnumbered.

Again, thank you! I look forward to getting settled in. :D =D

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Mississippi!....:frow
It seems ya are getting a pretty good start for your 1 acre there. Those older boys can certainly be a big help to you, too.
We have goats, chickens, ducks, and cats here on 20acres. I sure hope things continue to develope for ya there. Also, we all love pics, so feel free to share as you see fit. As ya browse thru the Forums and Threads ya will see plenty of them.
Again....:welcome

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi there! We're just a stone's throw from you all! We're in San Antonio now but are hoping to move outside the city to get our homestead started. We've looked at some places down in Floresville. We have friends down there, too. Looking forward to getting to know you!

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just another howdy and welcome from a fellow Long Star Stater! I'm up in Erath Co., southwest-ish from Fort Worth. Glad to have you here!

Newgoatmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you very, very much, everyone.

Yes, Cntryboy, the boys are a great help! I haven't had to lift a feed bag in years! :D Its funny you mention cats because, well, I have those, too. :) I feed all the strays. And 2 dogs. Even a pet tarantula! :D =D

LMK17, it's certainly great in Floresville. I have been here for 5 years and couldn't have found a town I love more.:love I am actually north of town not far from the Bexar county line so definitely just a stones throw away. :) Good luck finding the perfect place! I hope you are able to get it started really soon.

Hi, Baymule. :) Yes, we do. I am also trying to get some other food plants going, as well. I have planted a lime tree, a grapefruit tree, two apple trees, grape vines, and blackberries in addition to the vegetables. There was already a pecan tree here. :D

Thanks, animalmom. It seems like Texas is pretty well represented here! :D I am looking forward to finding my way around!

Again, thank you everyone! I really appreciate all the warm, friendly, welcomes! :frow

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. :) And good luck to you, too, with the goats and all! Floresville does have a lot going for it. You know what I hate, though? It's your darn sandy soils! LOL With a couple of little kids (ages 8 & 4) and animals, I just feel like sand in the house would be a neverending battle. :rolleyes: Has that been an issue for you all?

Newgoatmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, LMK17, we don't just have sandy soil, we have nothing but pure sand in most of the yard! I will admit that has taken some getting used to. And yes, it's everywhere and it does get tracked in the house AND the car! Thankfully my whole house is tile so I just sweep a LOT! :barnie I grew up in North Arkansas where there is more rock than dirt...I kinda freaked out when I realized there isn't a rock in my yard! :lol:

Latest posts