Hello from Kansas!

Future Homesteader

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello! We have a two-year plan to move to our homestead. I'm researching the types of livestock we "need". I'd like to get the chickens/guineas set up first, then a few dairy goats, and a couple of pigs. Maybe some sheep, not sure yet on the sheep. Would also like to have a few meat rabbits. And somewhere in between all that a LGD or two :weee

I joined BYC a couple of weeks ago and LOVE the resources there. Thank you all for being a resource for us newbies. Our goal is to be mostly self-sufficient and teach our kids the same.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello! We have a two-year plan to move to our homestead. I'm researching the types of livestock we "need". I'd like to get the chickens/guineas set up first, then a few dairy goats, and a couple of pigs. Maybe some sheep, not sure yet on the sheep. Would also like to have a few meat rabbits. And somewhere in between all that a LGD or two :weee

I joined BYC a couple of weeks ago and LOVE the resources there. Thank you all for being a resource for us newbies. Our goal is to be mostly self-sufficient and teach our kids the same.
:clap sounds great!!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! Don’t be in a rush and get everything all at once. Be sure to match the land to the livestock. Too little land and too many animals will dig deep in your pocket to feed them.

Having a small farm is a great way for kids to grow up. Small livestock and a garden will feed your family.

Future Homesteader

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! Don’t be in a rush and get everything all at once. Be sure to match the land to the livestock. Too little land and too many animals will dig deep in your pocket to feed them.

Having a small farm is a great way for kids to grow up. Small livestock and a garden will feed your family.
Yes! Thank you! I completely agree. I'm generally very impatient, but I'm realizing this forced prep time will enable to me learn so much.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had 5 years of living in town, once I found these sites. Had chickens and a garden, but in town. So I used that time to read past posts, study and educate myself, but when we finally got our farm, I still had so much to learn! LOL What I learned here was such a help, I was much better at getting started on my dream.