Hello From MN

leeta84

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello all. My name is Emily. I recently signed up on the backyard chickens forums. We only have chicks at this point but are looking into pigs and goats as well. I'm sure it will take a year or two before we get things ready for them but I'm trying to do my homework now.

We are really interested in goats for fiber. I'm finding that its very difficult to find goats for sale in Minnesota via the internet. We have never had livestock before so I don't even know where to start?!
Can anyone give me some good links/books (i love books) to start with?
On deciding what breed to get for fiber (can I find that breed in MN).
How to find them for sale.
How to decide on how many we should get
How to make your own fiber classes?

You know, that kind of thing. I've been kind of searching the forums but I find a lot of just questions and no guides for beginners. (i'm very terrible at internet searching btw). I know these things must have been asked before but I just can't seem to track them down.
Any help would be much appreciated. Even just a link to where I can start researching would be great.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from Tn! So glad you joined us. Look around and see what interesting stuff you can find. You'll get to "meet" folks at the same time. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Oh, and we all love pics, so post them anytime you feel the need! Please make yourself at home!
PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember from this post & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
You might want to check out the goat forum, Breeds and Breeding. There are alot of knowledgeable goat owners on here. Im sure you will get alot of helpful advice and suggestions.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome and greetings from WI. We have goats, pigs, and rabbits. But we are interested in chickens as well. Maybe we can exchange notes sometime. Carla

leeta84

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from Tn! So glad you joined us. Look around and see what interesting stuff you can find. You'll get to "meet" folks at the same time. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Oh, and we all love pics, so post them anytime you feel the need! Please make yourself at home!
PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember from this post & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Thank you so much Rammy. I just looked into that and have added my location. I think Minnesota is good enough. That way people know we have the potential to get all four seasons in a single day. LOL (wish I was kidding(hah)).
I have many questions. But I hate to annoy people and without livestock yet I don't have the normal questions with pictures and the such. So I'm looking for a great place to start learning about everything I need. :D

leeta84

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Welcome and greetings from WI. We have goats, pigs, and rabbits. But we are interested in chickens as well. Maybe we can exchange notes sometime. Carla

Hey Carla. That would be great. Unfortunately, my husband and I are new to farming and don't have many tips at all so far. Except to make sure you chicks are covered in their tub (ours jumped out and we lost one due to this).
He was born and raised in the city and though I have lived in a small farming community all my life, I have never lived on a farm.
We are starting from scratch but hope to do great things :D

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you so much Rammy. I just looked into that and have added my location. I think Minnesota is good enough. That way people know we have the potential to get all four seasons in a single day. LOL (wish I was kidding(hah)).
I have many questions. But I hate to annoy people and without livestock yet I don't have the normal questions with pictures and the such. So I'm looking for a great place to start learning about everything I need. :D
There are no stupid questions and you will not be annoying anyone. There are alot of members on here who are more than happy to answer your questions. Its better to ask then to get in over your head and end up with an emergency!. At least your willing to do some research and get some valuable info before you end up with animals your not prepared to care for. Glad you found us!

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey Carla. That would be great. Unfortunately, my husband and I are new to farming and don't have many tips at all so far. Except to make sure you chicks are covered in their tub (ours jumped out and we lost one due to this).
He was born and raised in the city and though I have lived in a small farming community all my life, I have never lived on a farm.
We are starting from scratch but hope to do great things :D
I’m pretty new with farming or farm animals as well. I grew up in the country but not on a farm. My husband is pretty comfortable farming as he’s helped his grand-dad when he was young. He’s been raising pigs for two years now with his dad. I’ve only been raising goats since late last September. I grew up with pet rabbits, never bred them before though. I’d love to share stories with you.

leeta84

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH from Tennessee!! :frow
Here's a link for fiber goats from the American Goat Federations
https://americangoatfederation.org/breeds-of-goats/fiber-goats/
Hope this helps a little! By the way...I LOVE your axolotl!

THANK YOU!
Both axolotls are doing great! I've always wanted them, ever since I was a child and saw them for the first time in a family restaurant. I never thought I would know someone that knew what they were let alone knowing a person that bred them!
I hope to raise them some day myself
My husband and I have recently started talking about rabbits, I only mention this to you because I see your name. :D It looks like you are a bunny person. I was originally thinking goats or sheep were the way to go for fiber... but I have been researching and I'm leaning towards angora rabbits now. As it would be a gradual step into raising animals for fiber.