1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Hello from Newfoundland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pjhobbyfarm, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Mar 23, 2019
    Pjhobbyfarm

Pjhobbyfarm Chillin' with the herd

Hi everyone. My wife and i are new to hobbyfarming. We started out last year with chickens and turkeys. We just recently adopted a lamb that is now 3 weeks old. His mother passed just after giving birth. He is a loveable little guy that thinks he is one of the dogs.

I have a question for everyone as I am preparing land for him. Is there a way to identify sheep laurel this time of year? Befote the leaves and flowers bloom? Our snow is just now melting and I know there is sheep laurel in my area. If theres a way to identify the bark on the plant it would help me insure it is removed from my land before he goes outside. I have searched online but have only found how to identify by the leaves and flowers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lukey says Hi.

Attached Files:

2. Mar 23, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Welcome to the forum from Texas. Glad to have you here. Congrats on the lamb, you are going to enjoy him. Will he be a pet? If so, you will want to have him castrated, they don’t call them rams for nothing.

I don’t know what Sheep laurel looks like. Sorry, no help there!

Rammy, CntryBoy777 and CaramelKittey like this.
  3. Mar 24, 2019
    Pjhobbyfarm

Pjhobbyfarm Chillin' with the herd

If my wife has her way he will be a pet. I would like to get him a female friend and raise our own however it looks like he will be castrated.

4. Apr 18, 2019
    CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Overrun with beasties

Welcome to BYH!

It’s great that you are getting into hobby farming! I started getting into hobby farming, and it turned into a homestead! Lol

Sorry about Lukey’s mother. I almost lost my doe Lucy as she had two big babies: a boy and a girl. The boy and the mom survived. Unfortunately, the little girl didn’t make it ;(.

Sorry I can’t be any help when sheep laurel! I don’t know much about sheep. All I can say is that Lukey is one adorable sheep! I’m sure he really appreciates you for taking him in and giving him a home!

Hope you enjoy BYH!

CntryBoy777 likes this.
  5. Apr 18, 2019
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

Rammy and Pjhobbyfarm like this.