Glenn Stanford

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a newbie from Tupelo MS. Area. I have to say this is a wonderful group y'all have here, lots of expertise and knowledge.
For the past 10 years I have heard many times about a meat goat shortage.

I guess I am asking if this is are was true? I am a disabled senior that has about 15 acres of pasture land that had cattle on it until about 1996 or so. I let my neighbor cut it for hay now just to keep the place from growing up. I have been thinking that surely the goodness there is something I can use this land for to supplement our little monthly checks.

Goats are what I have been considering. I hope ther is someone in Northeast MS. That has a operation that will allow me to visit and show me the ropes.

All fences have sapling and weed growth around them and all will need to be replaced this I know for sure.
Well anyway, thanks for having me. And look forward to chatting with like minded people.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Mississippi!!....:frow
You are in a better market area over there than we are here, but the first thing to look for is a good vet that treats goats in your area there....we don't have any and it could make it difficult on ya if ya are trying to maintain a sizeable herd. We only have 3 goats at the moment, but there isn't much of a market here, so we haven't expanded or made plans to grow that very much. I would suggest that ya look at Kikos for what ya are describing, they are a low maintainence goat that is parasite resistant especially in this area with the heat and humidity. There are many problems with Boers here and most that have them are changing over to Kikos. If ya are gonna replace the fencing, then I would make plans to put up some electric with it....it will help keep the goats in and the predators out. Glad ya decided to join us here and just browse around in the Forums and Threads, and if ya have a question just jump on in and ask away.
Again.....:welcome

Glenn Stanford

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks, So from what I gather is you are suggesting meat goats. How do I market them? Where? At what age what age do I sell them? Will meat goats be ok on just ole pasture land? I suppose when it's winter they will have to be fed, all grass is dead. Does that get expensive? Forgive me for so many ? At ont time just don't know what to do.
Thanks

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Many with meat goats don't supplement the browse with pellets or grain....only with hay, they should have hay available 24/7 all year around. What I do for winter forage is sow rye grass and winter peas in the fields for the goats ducks and chickens to forage on....and there is clover, vetch, and native weeds and plants growing also. As far as marketing I really can't say....ya may want to check with some local processing places and see if they have much business in processing goats. Most of those that would be interested would be of Latino, Arab, or African backgrounds as it is what they know and it is a big part of their celebrations.....:)
As far as age goes, it depends on if ya wether the males or not, and if not then ya would need to sell them younger than 1yr old....if wethered, then it would be up to you....kinda like chicken....fryers are young and hens go in a pot, but both are still delicious. Think of deer hunting and which meat tastes better and is more tender.

Glenn Stanford

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks cntryboy777, Can you feed them round bales? Out in the weather or under a shed/barn? I guess they are like cattle and horses, if they crap or pee on part then that becomes mulch cause they sho ain't gonna eat it.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
They prefer it to be protected and they do waste some too. They sure won't touch any that is tainted in any way and molded hay will make them sick if they do eat it. I have some outside and inside for them, because my goats hate the rain and getting wet...so, they stay in their shelter when that is happening.

Glenn Stanford

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks Mike CHS, What do you raise if anything for profit? Middle TN. Is that around Nashville?

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
If ya wish to tag someone in a conversation just put @ infront of their screen name and a space after it and it will alert them to the message @Glenn Stanford , and as ya are typing the name a banner will open that includes the names and avatars of those it could be....when ya see the name just click on it and it will insert it into the typed message along with the space.....:)

Glenn Stanford

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok, kool, I will use that if I can remember it. Most time I don't know if I am washing or hanging out. Thanks

Latest posts