Glenn Stanford

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Mike CHS, Hair sheep, is that for shearing for wool? So you are down towards Athens AL. Thanks

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hair sheep are bred for meat. In our case we have a bunch of Katahdin/Dorper cross.

We are just 20 miles north of the Alabama line and just off of I-65 if that gives you any idea. Athens is another 20 miles or so.

Glenn Stanford

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Y
Hair sheep are bred for meat. In our case we have a bunch of Katahdin/Dorper cross.

We are just 20 miles north of the Alabama line and just off of I-65 if that gives you any idea. Athens is another 20 miles or so.
Yes Mike I kinda know where you are. In 1976 we lived in Decatur and my wife worked in Athens.
Is there a pretty good market where you are for your product? I never heard of them.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The market in Tennessee is getting better all of the time. They have been around for awhile now and getting bigger all of the time. There are several associations all around that have a pretty good networking situation going on.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH Glenn! So glad you joined us. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Just to throw it out there, for what it's worth, Goats are "primarily" browsing animals... they prefer leaves, twigs, bark, vines, woody weeds, landscaping shrubbery or any other plants you DON'T want them to eat... well, you get the idea. Sheep are "primarily" grazers... they eat grasses but will ALSO eat browse as well. I share this because you might find sheep to be a better fit with what you intend with respect to your pasture. Also, you might have a better market for sheep meat over goat meat. There are certain cultures that prefer goat, and there are certain things that you'll need to know with this, such as some will only purchase unaltered male goats, etc. You really need to be aware of your market. I'd suggest contacting a few butcher shops and ask if they have clients seeking either. You can also look at local advertising to see if anyone else is selling what you're anticipating selling.

Oh, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. Old folks like me will never remember from this thread. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Glenn Stanford

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH Glenn! So glad you joined us. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Just to throw it out there, for what it's worth, Goats are "primarily" browsing animals... they prefer leaves, twigs, bark, vines, woody weeds, landscaping shrubbery or any other plants you DON'T want them to eat... well, you get the idea. Sheep are "primarily" grazers... they eat grasses but will ALSO eat browse as well. I share this because you might find sheep to be a better fit with what you intend with respect to your pasture. Also, you might have a better market for sheep meat over goat meat. There are certain cultures that prefer goat, and there are certain things that you'll need to know with this, such as some will only purchase unaltered male goats, etc. You really need to be aware of your market. I'd suggest contacting a few butcher shops and ask if they have clients seeking either. You can also look at local advertising to see if anyone else is selling what you're anticipating selling.

Oh, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. Old folks like me will never remember from this thread. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!
Thanks Latestarter,
Your right about some really smart people on here. One of my problems is location, I don't know of anyone that raises goats for anything but clearing land then they will sell them at a auction house that in return resales them for the same purpose. I don't know of a sole that raises sheep.

If there are any butcher shapes in the area I am not aware of them, everyone in this area shops at local and chain grocery stores. I am going to do a search after I finish this post.

Thanks for the warm welcome I am sure you will be hearing more from me in the future.
By the way your name describes me in this endeavor to a tee!
Thanks

Glenn Stanford

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The market in Tennessee is getting better all of the time. They have been around for awhile now and getting bigger all of the time. There are several associations all around that have a pretty good networking situation going on.
That's great Mike CHS, By networking and working and sharing knowledge and recourses. I can't seem to find anything in north MS. Other than folks buying and selling to clear land. But I am still looking.
Thanks

Glenn Stanford

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score

Latest posts