Hello from Pure Michigan BYC&SSS member.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like this one better. I can no longer used teh Spanish one. Nothing Sexy nor single on the 61 yr old,lol Sassy, maybe but more sarcastic,lol
In the Army the guys used Sh*t/Shower/Shave but I love yours. Can that include those who you want disappeared,lol I already told my in laws that if he does not behaves the racoons and predator will find him first. No, I already did all the killing I had to do when in service. The only will be an uninvited person inside my house without my permission. Then they can recover in a body bag.
Like your "SASS"... and agree with your thoughts.

Dreamz

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So, what do you guys can say about dwarf Nigerian goats?

They said about pigs that do not root?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't have goats so can't advise. Several on here do and most like them BUT alot of comments about little udders and teats so little to milk and not much quantity. If you want to milk goats, a full size one is more likely to do better for you. @Mini Horses has goats and milks here in Va.... some others, too. @rachels.haven has both sizes I think but going towards the full size goats....
All pigs will root. Some breeds more than others. But there is not a pig that doesn't have the instinct to root. Some breeds do more "grazing" than others. You will have to research and also find what is available near you too.
One good thing about ones that root... they will clean out any weeds and grass that is in your garden area.... yes you will have to till it to get it back level and not full of pot holes... but they will clean out all the unwanted weed growth and the next year it will be easier to maintain... and the added fertilizer will help... I grew the best cantaloupes I have ever had in a garden the year after I had hogs in it... hoping to be able to get a couple for the garden this fall as my garden is a reclaimed lawn.... 15 years as a lawn.... LOTS of grass and "stuff" .... just bought this place and getting it back to a "producing" small homestead.

Dreamz

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Same hear. It was all grass but neighbor came with tractor and tilled it twice for 50 bucks. Began with a hoe but too much work for me. Told hub to just make frames cause I was not digging. Card board inside then soil and get with it before the train takes off, lol
20220603_152131.jpg
20220611_104413.jpg
I know it is not the best wood but it was here and cheaper.
I do not drink goat mik. Just want the meat,lol and if they eat the grass, less mowing for me at least in the back.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Same hear. It was all grass but neighbor came with tractor and tilled it twice for 50 bucks. Began with a hoe but too much work for me. Told hub to just make frames cause I was not digging. Card board inside then soil and get with it before the train takes off, lol
View attachment 92334
View attachment 92335
I know it is not the best wood but it was here and cheaper.
I do not drink goat mik. Just want the meat,lol and if they eat the grass, less mowing for me at least in the back.
Then a meat breed is what you want... again @Mini Horses has had Boer goats In the past I believe...

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Stay away from boer goats. If your looking for meat if you want to breed and raise your own look at other meat breeds kiko or Spanish or something different. Boers are over priced and need grain and babied. If u just want meat find a goat dairy and buy weathers. Run on grass maybe a little grain and process before winter. Won't get as big but will save u tons of money. Can raise two get more meat and cost less than half then a boer. Oh I guess it all depends if u have grass.

Dreamz

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

@Simpleterrier There is some grass in the back that I would rather not mow,lol​

I am looking for something that I can just keep 2 and process 2 every year. I guess I need to look at how often they have babies and that way I only keep 2 during winter season and so on. Have no clue on how to process but I guess I can find videos on youtube for that. I just want to be able to have meat steadily. Not for selling or anything. It will be for me and my family. According to Michigan and rule of thumb is about 30sqft per goat.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you just want a couple goats to process have you considered just buying a couple every year and raising them up until you're ready to process them? Sure beats the entire mess of having a buck, a doe and dealing with kidding and all the possible problems.

I have people who buy males from me every year. I let 'em know when they're ready to be weaned and they'll take all I've got. I give them preference since they're repeat customers.

Works well for both of us.

Last edited:

Latest posts